Steering wheel audio/cruise button fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACQB

Reaction score
How does the switch assembly actually come off the steering wheel?
I have a 2005 Expy Limited where I have the same issues with the cruise.

Disconnect the negative on the battery before you start anything. There are two covers each side on the backside of the steering wheel, pop them off and there are 2 8mm bolts at an angle that hold the airbag. Don't have to disconnect the airbag, move it carefully not to TUG on the wires and wedge/place it on top of the steering wheel. I taped mine in place with some blue masking tape to hold it there temp'.
Each control is held with two Phillips head screws & has its own wire, the connections can be a bugger to unplug, but I had better luck with the controls still mounted, others with the unmounted. A small flat screwdriver can be a help getting the connection apart. Be careful, wreck that plug, its a PAIN!
Each control is held in with two screws... Replace after cleaning or with new controls in reverse order. Do not over tighten the Phillips on the controls (CRACK if you do). Remember the 8mm bolts for the airbag are at an angle, a little dab of Loc-Tite is recommended on the 8mm bolts.... mine didnt have a trace of it from the factory, so I didn't use any. Start to finish 20 minutes. That includes gathering and putting away tools used.

Last edited:

dano

Reaction score
yes, thanks for the pictures! I think I can do it with your pictures...between the photobucket water mark. Ha haaaa

dano

Reaction score
So, I still gotta take the steering wheel apart to access them to remove them from the steering wheel, right?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a off market radio does it disable those buttons?
Not the speed control, but it might the audio controls unless you have the optional control module that's offered with most aftermarket head units.

Also, if you run the self-diagnostic test and only get the green speed control icon to light up when you first press the OFF button, chances are that the deactivation switch down on the brake pedal is bad and preventing the system from coming on at all. Motorcraft SW-5957 is less than $10 on Amazon. To release the switch just turn it a 1/4 turn.

sw5957_1.jpg

Last edited:

heston gee

Reaction score
My first thread, just thought I would share my findings since my searches didn't turn up this exact info.

Picked up a '03 EB and several of the steering wheel buttons were inop, the rest worked fine or at least sometimes. After reading on here and other places that these seem to "go bad" I picked up a used set off eBay cheap. Long story short, these has certain functions that didn't work also, seller sent me a replacement used set no charge.

Son now I have 3 sets, one that works well (the last set) but the buttons looked terrible. I decided to sacrifice one of the partially working ones to see if I could tell what failed.

After some trial and error here is what I found:
-the functions that quit working were due to dirty contacts.

That's it. Dirty contacts. And they are simple copper contacts.

All you have to do is remove the switch form the wheel, and get a skinny T8 torx in between the buttons at the top and bottom and loosen the two screws holding the board/switch assembly to the housing, and that assembly comes out. Gently separate the board from the button assembly, and you can easily clean the button and board contacts with a cotton swab and some denatured alcohol.

Bit good sets I have work like a champ now!

Hope this helps someone having the same issue! Takes all of 20 minutes total start to finish
I had the same issue. I bought new Motorcraft set on Amazon, enexpensive. Only issue I now have is the temp down. I've read may have to do with the clock spring.