stereo head unit replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mud turtle

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the original factory head unit but concerned that the rear, factory DVD player will no longer work since the volume is controlled by the head unit. When shopping for a new head, once I check factory DVD player, the website says that the unit will not fit my Expedition. Anyone replaced theirs, if so, what did you purchase?

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
RCA output from the aftermarket output to the RSE. Use right angle RCA cables for a cleaner look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mud turtle

Reaction score
I contacted Crutchfield and the steering wheel control hook up and wiring harness to operate the rear DVD cost almost as much as the new head unit !!!

Does anyone know of the factory head unit has the outlets on the rear to add an after market rear view camera?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I have an a Nav radio out of a 2007 Expedition. I am not sure it will work or compatible with in an 2008(I couldn't test). $25+ shipping its yours. They are $300+.

IMG_20190901_145007[1].jpg

IMG_20190912_124839[1].jpg

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I contacted Crutchfield and the steering wheel control hook up and wiring harness to operate the rear DVD cost almost as much as the new head unit !!!

Does anyone know of the factory head unit has the outlets on the rear to add an after market rear view camera?

Factory radios almost never come with RCA inputs or outputs... Especially Ford !

What year model ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is an 08

You can go with anything from Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC & Sony if you want reliability ...

if the budget doesnt allow for that ... EONON, XTRON, DUAL, and a multitude of other affordable brands out there.

personally I had the Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX in my 07 ... installed it with the PAC Audio RSE retaining module ... never had a problem..... never used the dvd player portion of the RSE unit after i realize i can easily run a RCA cable from the Pioneer HU to the OEM roof mounted DVD Player.

Loaded a 64GB SD Card with a whole bunch of movies for the kids .... select the "Mirror to Rear" option et voila ... sound plays throughout the vehicle on all speakers, The same movie playing in the front simultaneously plays in the back. That way I can control everything from the front.

Last edited: