Stereo Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jihughes79

Reaction score
I’m trying to put a new stereo in my 1998 Expedition. The current 16 pin wiring harness has wire colors that match nothing I can find online. My new radio has a 12 pin set up. Can anyone tell me what the wires are that I need to connect the new harness to?
Top left to right:
Gray
Orange with black stripe
Green with black stripe
White with red stripe
Dark gray or brown
Purple with white stripe
Blue
Tan
Bottom left to right:
Purple
Green with red stripe
Black
Green
White with orange stripe
Blue with black stripe
Yellow
Blue with red stripe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jihughes79

Reaction score
UPDATE: I have the power. Just trying to figure out the speaker connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried to go with the factory wiring but the wires are too small of a gauge so I ran all new 14 gauge. It was a pain but sounds great

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Letsrunum

Reaction score
Speaker wires will come in paires. Meaning one soild color and one with a stripe. Definitely not these as your solid colors from my experience: Yellow,Red,black, and blue

Green,tan,grey, and purple with their stripes as the pair would be my guess as your speakers wires. Testing to figure out which pair of wires goes to what speaker can be done by the head unit without taking the door panel apart to get to the speaker and confirm your wire colors that way.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
They make harrnass adapters and they are cheap. I have seen on EBAY low as $5 You wire on a work bench then just plug into vehicle.