Sticky worthy??? Quick fix for rear wiper motor turning but not moving wiper arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
id tell other story but you may get offended ;)

Nothing a person whom actions reflect that of a little boy can do nor say will reflect harm in the eyes of man.

Nothing you say will offend me my boy, even on your best day.

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And the wiper repair thread just got really deep... I like nothing on the rear but I also hacked my truck to put a manual transmission and transfer case from a superduty in it, so rock on no matter rear wiper or not expeditions are tanks with or without the wiper

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1997 Expy:
I removed the rear door plastic liner using a forked pry tool at each of the hidden ribbed plastic fastener locations (maybe a dozen?). With a little pulling and prying, and the use of a small flashlight in my mouth I was able to separate each fastener without any breakage.

I pulled the plastic film down to gain access to the motor. Before undoing the three torx fasteners that secure the motor in place, I went to the outside of the door, pulling the plastic cover up and away exposing the wiper arm nut underneath. I used a two arm puller to get the wiper arm off of it's shaft. I then returned to the inside of the door, where I separated the electrical connector halves. Removing the three aforementioned torx fasteners releases the complete motor/gear box assembly which is easily guided out of the access hole.

I pulled the gear box access plate off via the four machine screws. I suspected that the output shaft bushings were corroded, as I could feel zero play there. I drove the output shaft as far into the housing as I could with a plastic mallet, then used a drift to drive it the rest of the way out. Both of the wee bushings came out on the shaft. I used a big crescent wrench around the shaft to act as an anvil to drive the seized outer bushing off of the shaft. After cleaning up the shaft and the inside of the bushing with emery cloth, I packed it well with white grease before driving the outer bushing back into place using the appropriate sized 1/4 inch drive socket and extension. The inboard bushing pressed easily back into place. The shaft slipped smoothly back in, with the outer seal appearing to still be tight.

After completing the reassembly and re-installation of the motor/gear box assembly, it effortlessly drives the wiper arm as it did in days gone by!!! I saved spending $75 CAD for another day:)