Stiffer Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric Brogan

Reaction score
Trying to figure out if there is an option for a stiffer spring. My 2010 limited pulls my 29' travel trailer with no issue, but at highway speeds the suspensions feels to lose. Looking to stiffing it up. Looking to see if anyone has done this before. I don't have issue with sway in the camper but if a car passes me I feel like the truck moves a little to much for comfort.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just finished a 4K mile trip last month, towing the whole way. Approx 5400lb travel trailer. I really only had two complaints. Rear seemed to bob over bumps and be slow to recover. More importantly, when descending in the mountains and cornering, I would completely lose touch with the rear end. I don’t have any squat and I have my weight distribution dialed in and verified via CAT scale. I started looking at stiffening the springs with SuperSprings but I think I’m going to try the Hellwig sway bar first. Based on what I’ve read the independent rear is tuned to ride really well but not optimized for towing heavier loads. I’m going to try to fix the issue while keeping the ride as supple as possible. Hope this helps, maybe others have already made these upgrades.

LovinPSDs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Helwig sway bar, Sumo Springs and Bilstein 5100 (i think that's the number) seem to all be popular upgrades.

In order of how I'd do them.. Start with sumo springs, they are cheap ($150 or so) and easy to install. From there probably a coin toss depending on if you actually need new shocks or not. Lots of great feedback on the Helwig for Gen4's haven't paid attention to much of the order gens. Regardless, those are some options for you..

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just towed with my Cooper AT3 load range "E" tires for the first time yesterday. It was a very short trip from the shop back to storage, but I noticed that the rear squirmed less and felt more planted. I had the tires aired up to 65 psi.

xtshawytscha

Reaction score
I just towed with my Cooper AT3 load range "E" tires for the first time yesterday. It was a very short trip from the shop back to storage, but I noticed that the rear squirmed less and felt more planted. I had the tires aired up to 65 psi.
I've been thinking that those might be my next tire. I would be very curious to know what you think about them after you've made a few more trips towing with them.

OP
OP
E

eric Brogan

Reaction score
Helwig sway bar, Sumo Springs and Bilstein 5100 (i think that's the number) seem to all be popular upgrades.

In order of how I'd do them.. Start with sumo springs, they are cheap ($150 or so) and easy to install. From there probably a coin toss depending on if you actually need new shocks or not. Lots of great feedback on the Helwig for Gen4's haven't paid attention to much of the order gens. Regardless, those are some options for you..
I got the Summo Springs My have gotten the wrong size but they did lift the rear up 1/2 inch loaded with no weight distribution on so the squat will be less I haven't towed yet to see if the looseness has subsided. Thanks for the input

SenileStig

Reaction score

The Sumo Springs did nothing for me (2016 Expedition EL Limited, HD Trailer Tow Package). And they fell apart.

I tow ~ 5000Lb (aluminum flatbed with 3200lb Corvette), tongue weight < 700lb no WD + ~250lbs of tires+tools in the back. The Sumo Springs did nothing. They did not reduce the rear sag. And they made no difference in the ride quality. Worse yet, after < 3k miles of towing, I see that the Sumo Springs have basically exploded (see photo).

I cannot recommend Sumo Springs.

Now, if anyone has a recommendation for rear springs that are stiffer than OEM ... I would love to try them with new Bilstein 5100's.

Attachments

• SumoSprings.jpg
    SumoSprings.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 29

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been thinking that those might be my next tire. I would be very curious to know what you think about them after you've made a few more trips towing with them.
They're awesome. I've posted several times about them. They stabilized the rear while towing, Treadwell has been reasonable, and no issues with slo leaks from punctures due to a the construction around town. Only downsides are slightly more noise when the tread gets lower and they're, so mpg dropped 1 mpg.

sandbuster

Reaction score
The Sumo Springs did nothing for me (2016 Expedition EL Limited, HD Trailer Tow Package). And they fell apart.

I tow ~ 5000Lb (aluminum flatbed with 3200lb Corvette), tongue weight < 700lb no WD + ~250lbs of tires+tools in the back. The Sumo Springs did nothing. They did not reduce the rear sag. And they made no difference in the ride quality. Worse yet, after < 3k miles of towing, I see that the Sumo Springs have basically exploded (see photo).

I cannot recommend Sumo Springs.

Now, if anyone has a recommendation for rear springs that are stiffer than OEM ... I would love to try them with new Bilstein 5100's.
Did you ever figure out why the Sumo springs came apart? Any conversation with seller or mfg?

K-Clive

Reaction score
Looking for stiffer spring recommendations - anyone trying this with great results?
Might not want to try the SUMO after this discussion?