Stranded again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Overall, later years should be more reliable, minus new tech added within the model lifecycle.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This doesn't sound like a common issue with this transmission, in fact I have not heard of very many issues with this transmission at all. I have pulled my camper up some steep stuff and gotten it hotter than I would like and have not had issues. What ever is going on is not normal. Just replacing the seal is not going to fix the problem, somebody needs to figure out why the seal if failing because loading up with ski equipment is not enough to cause this sort of failure.

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This doesn't sound like a common issue with this transmission, in fact I have not heard of very many issues with this transmission at all. I have pulled my camper up some steep stuff and gotten it hotter than I would like and have not had issues. What ever is going on is not normal. Just replacing the seal is not going to fix the problem, somebody needs to figure out why the seal if failing because loading up with ski equipment is not enough to cause this sort of failure.
Yeah I agree and now that the seal has gone twice that makes more sense. I’ll let you guys know what I find out from the dealer, hopefully by the end of the week.

lurch

Reaction score
I have been pretty frustrated with the reliability of mine and started looking at the alternatives. I was left pretty underwhelmed with the competition. All of the GM engines in the Tahoe/Suburban have some pretty serious issues right now. The gas engines had a bad set of lifters/rods that are causing engines to need rebuilds or replacement within the first year and sometimes days of purchase. The baby diesel has an issue where it won't even start sometimes, there is a software fix that causes it just to crank longer but that does not fix the mechanical problem inside the engine that is just degrading with use. The new Toyota turbo engine is causing serious issues in Tundra and that will likely be the same story in the Lexus LX and Sequoia. The Jeep Waggoner has Stelantis quality issues and while it is rated to pull 10,000lb it has a payload so low that you can't use it and bring your family.

Last edited:

retired_chemist

Reaction score
Back in the day, 1982, I bought a Chevy K5 Blazer. It was built on the Monday after the Christmas - New Year shutdown. I know this from the paperwork I found in it after I took delivery. In the first three months I owned it, it spent one month at the dealer for many problems. I went to arbitration over it and the zone rep said they would make it good. They never did, and I vowed to never own a GM vehicle again, and I haven't. My Fords have problems, buy at least Ford makes them good.

Team_Z

Reaction score
All manufacturers are hit or miss. Especially now a days. I’ve had 15 F150 platinums since they came out in 09/10. I’ve had good ones and I’ve had bad ones. I’ve owned GMs 2 that GM ended up buying back one right after the other! Lol. I’ve had German cars, same thing good ones and bad ones. I managed a few Japanese car dealerships and the same good ones and bad ones (never buy an early build 19 Camry or rav4)

Now I did have a 2018 Land Cruiser that I put over 75k miles in roughly 2.5 years and it was a beast! No problems. I drove it like I stole it, put it through its paces. But the design was outdated.

I’ve come to one conclusion early on. anything that is man made, it’s quality very dependent on how the people felt that day. That’s saying “this must have been a Friday car” is unfortunately true. Learned this from being in the industry for 15 years and having family that work at Ford plants.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Just buy what you like and cross your fingers.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, does it seem strange that we had the same transmission leak almost exactly a year later at the same spot on the interstate (going up I-70 in Colorado towards Eisenhower Tunnel)?? What are the odds of the same seal going out after no problems after one year???

Just out of curiosity what seal is going out? Is your Expedition 2wd or 4wd?

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All manufacturers are hit or miss. Especially now a days. I’ve had 15 F150 platinums since they came out in 09/10. I’ve had good ones and I’ve had bad ones. I’ve owned GMs 2 that GM ended up buying back one right after the other! Lol. I’ve had German cars, same thing good ones and bad ones. I managed a few Japanese car dealerships and the same good ones and bad ones (never buy an early build 19 Camry or rav4)

Now I did have a 2018 Land Cruiser that I put over 75k miles in roughly 2.5 years and it was a beast! No problems. I drove it like I stole it, put it through its paces. But the design was outdated.

I’ve come to one conclusion early on. anything that is man made, it’s quality very dependent on how the people felt that day. That’s saying “this must have been a Friday car” is unfortunately true. Learned this from being in the industry for 15 years and having family that work at Ford plants.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Just buy what you like and cross your fingers.
Agreed - I love how Toyota / Honda still used old dash clock displays and shifters - the interior could be mistaken from 15 years ago.

You get the reliability at the cost of modernization. Always putting new design / tech in a car will lead to some reliability issues.

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the dealer thinks the transmission was overfull, but they're going to pull the pan off and "check around" to see if they can find anything else that may have caused this issue twice now. Before both of these "incidents" we did have the valve control body replaced so who knows. Sounds like I'll hear back in the next day or two if they find anything.

It looks like there are a couple of 21 Platinums available in my area, may just trade this in so we don't have to worry about it again and cross fingers we have better luck with a new one again. I'll keep you guys updated on what the dealer says when I hear from them.

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what seal is going out? Is your Expedition 2wd or 4wd?

It's a 4wd and supposedly the seal from the transmission to transfer case. This other dealer says that this time it seems like it was overfull and "pushed the transmission fluid out" but they didn't specify where this time. (post above). Waiting to hear more.