Stranded again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We went and looked around a little today and pretty much decided that if we replace this Expedition, it will be with a '21 or '22 that will hopefully be more reliable.

I grew up on a farm and we have only owned Ford trucks as long as I can remember and off the top of my head I can't think of any of them having any issues at all. This Expedition has been in the shop so many times I can barely remember all of them.

It's just not proving to be reliable enough for us to take very far away from home with 3 kids and a dog piled in the back. This past weekend we barely got a rental car, who knows what we would have done if we couldn't have found one.

We're going to wait to hear back from this dealer (bigger dealer with a specific 10R80 mechanic) to see why this same seal supposedly failed again.

BTW, does it seem strange that we had the same transmission leak almost exactly a year later at the same spot on the interstate (going up I-70 in Colorado towards Eisenhower Tunnel)?? What are the odds of the same seal going out after no problems after one year???
Ike gauntlet (Golden, CO) 8 degree grade up to 11,300'+ elevation. That will heat the trans up good.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So for the second year in a row our Expedition has stranded us on a ski trip. Same issue as last time (I assume) with seal going out on the transmission.

It's not only that, but we've had it in numerous times for warranty work since we bought it new.

So I guess my question is, what do you guys recommend for a replacement vehicle? Are the newer Expeditions more reliable? (ours is '18) Or what about the new Tahoe/suburban? I've always been a Ford guy but not sure if we want to risk it again after this experience. Thanks in advance.

Its hit and miss. Its like @Fastcar has said, you get a great truck/SUV and it lasts you years without issues, or you can get unlucky and get one that has major problems. I have seen it from members on all my forums, most people have zero problems and a few have issues. Tahoe, Rams, Silverados, F-150, and so on. If you love Ford and really like the Expeditions, stick with them, unless you want to go the Tahoe/Yukon route.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cars tend to be an emotional purchase on top of pure practicality. When the car fails more than one would think reasonable, you get upset. You also lose a bit of loyalty - might as well try the competition.

If a car treats you well, it's very hard to break from the brand.

Ultimately, every model has their bad apple samples. You just hope yours wasn't built on a holiday shift change.

I found a few South African Rand coins under the back seat cushion of my older BMW. I'm sure there is protocol to have empty pockets if you're crawling in cars installing things

mhExped

Reaction score
We've had more than our fair share of trouble with our '18 Limited and also find ourselves wondering if we should let it go.

If we were to do that, the vehicle at the top of the list we'd be evaluating is the Nissan Armada. From the sounds of it, we'd be stepping back in time with respect to modern convenience features and maybe lose a bit in the "fit 'n' feel department". But, perhaps we'd gain in an older, "simpler" V8 and less other "tech" to fail? Not sure. Towing capacity seems reasonably on par with Expy and interior space seems "close".

Not sure what other vehicles we'd be evaluating. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of great competition. Truth be told, we love the promise of what the Expy has to offer, but so much ongoing trouble leaves us feeling our vehicle is completely unreliable and will be expensive (in both frustration and $$$) in the long run. :-(

John Ferrero

Reaction score
These vehicles are trucks, designed to work. They are designed to tow heavy loads and continue working for many years. A particular vehicle with a particular problem does not extend to all vehicles and/or indicate poor quality. I have driven that same route at least 10 times with a heavily burdened vehicle (6 Plus people, back stuffed, rooftop bag stuffed, and skis and snowboards hanging off the back on a ski carrier attached to a bike carrier) and have had no issues there. That said I have seen my own peculiar issues with that transmission..... But that's a whole nother bag of worms! Today's vehicles are so complex with so many different systems they are bound to fail more than older vehicles which had far fewer failure points. What goes along with that though are things such as improved vehicle performance, better safety features, more convenience, etc. There are always trade-offs but as far as I'm concerned today's vehicles are incredible and I am glad I get to drive them.

OP
OP
29twonine

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These vehicles are trucks, designed to work. They are designed to tow heavy loads and continue working for many years. A particular vehicle with a particular problem does not extend to all vehicles and/or indicate poor quality. I have driven that same route at least 10 times with a heavily burdened vehicle (6 Plus people, back stuffed, rooftop bag stuffed, and skis and snowboards hanging off the back on a ski carrier attached to a bike carrier) and have had no issues there. That said I have seen my own peculiar issues with that transmission..... But that's a whole nother bag of worms! Today's vehicles are so complex with so many different systems they are bound to fail more than older vehicles which had far fewer failure points. What goes along with that though are things such as improved vehicle performance, better safety features, more convenience, etc. There are always trade-offs but as far as I'm concerned today's vehicles are incredible and I am glad I get to drive them.
So imagine if you have all your ski stuff packed in like that and you lose transmission fluid, coast down to Summit Ford. They’re of course closed and there are no rental cars available. So there you are with all your ski stuff packed to the gills, kids crying because they wanted to ski so bad and no way to get home.

Now this happens again a year later, almost exactly same situation except the dealer was open this time. Still a total pain in the ass And another ski weekend ruined.

It took about a month last time for them to get a seal and replace it, this time we had it towed to Denver, still waiting for them to look at it.

Needless to say, it’s going to be hard to trust this vehicle again. Our plan is to see what this mechanic tech says (hopefully he has more experience than the guy who fixed it last year) and probably trying to find or order a ‘22 and hope for better luck.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d request a new transmission from Ford or at least a total rebuild on the existing trans. It sounds like a high pressure problem possibly blowing the seal out under load. If I’m right then you could be doing this over and over again. You need to talk to a Ford representative and explain the situation. I wish you luck. When it happens once it can be blamed on a bad seal. But whey it happens the second time under the same conditions then I’d say it’s a pattern.

weston707

Reaction score
You seriously need this explained to you? No one is trying to stick it to anyone. After spending tens of thousands on a vehicle only to have it continually in the shop people lose faith in the model and/or brand. Sometimes it's just a lemon and other times it's indicative of the model and/or brand. Either way, most consumers will look to another model/brand for their next vehicle. Once the memory fades or they can rationalize a return to the model/brand (new generation, better warranty, etc.) maybe they will return.

I certainly get the frustration with Ford. I've been a Ford guy since 1996. My first Ford was purchased brand new and was easily the worst car I ever owned in terms of reliability. Every Ford thereafter was very reliable - until the Expedition. My Expedition hasn't been awful, but it's been more problematic than any other vehicle my wife or I has owned since 1999 (when I sold that first Ford). Its not like my experience is an isolated one either. The 5.4L 3V simply doesn't have a good reputation. With all of the cam phaser issues on the 4th gens, I don't know that those are going to fare much better.
3 gen with a 6r80 trans and a 7.3 Godzilla swap. It’s similar to an LS base, and cheaper then buying a new car honestly. The 7.3L Godzilla is a work of art and from what I’ve seen and heard is a beast of an engine. It’s to bad the new 4th gens don’t have massive engine bay or I’d say dump the 20k and get the Godzilla with a 6r80 in your car. USShift and OBR tuning are working with me on this swap plus I’ll have a solid warranty from my mechanics shop through Napa. I’m never going to give up on Ford... my ranger was the best truck ever and pulled more then 3x what it was rated for with no issue. The 5.4L 3v is a bad engine, I agree on that, the rest of the vehicle is a champ.

proftomda

Reaction score
You would basically be buying the same vehicle if you go with a new expo and just crossing your fingers that this one was somehow built better than your 2018. The Nissan Armada is a step back to a simpler time with lots of its architecture dating back to 2004. Normally aspirated understressed big V8 is the secret to long life. GM v8 engines, historically bulletproof, are currently some of the most failure prone engines in America because of their cylinder deactivation crapola wiping out the camshafts.