Strange blower motor issue on 2015 Expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RYKnow

Reaction score
Hello. Like the topic states I'm having a strange blower motor issue, at least I assume it's the blower motor. When the car is running we get a nasty humming/vibration sound that comes and goes. When the noise is happening, there is very little air blowing through the vents, regardless of how high the fan speed is set. When the noise/vibration is not happening, the air seems to be pushing through the vents like normal. Earlier tonight we took the kids for one more ride through town to see some christmas lights. While coming down a hill I put the vehicle in neutral and coasted down the hill. While coasting the noise would come and go many times... every few seconds the noise would be happening with no air blowing... and then it would stop and the air would blow hard. over and over.

While sitting parked in a parking lot I also played with it a bit. While the noise/vibration is happening, if I turn the blower speed up or down, there is no change to the sound (as in the fan does not seem to speed up or slow down). When we don't hear the sound the fan is adjusting accordingly with the climate controls.

Possibly related, but wouldn't bet on it, there did almost seem like at times there maybe was a strange voltage issue. Sometimes when coming to a stop it seemed like the noise would fade and go away, and then while starting to accelerate it would come back. Like wise, while coasting down the hill, it almost seemed like while braking the noise would come back, and while not braking it would go away. This wasn't always the case, but it seemed repeatable a few times.

I'm hoping someone has dealt with this issue or can point me in the right direction. It's winter and now that this problem is happening almost always, no heat is going to be a major issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
-RYknow

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. Like the topic states I'm having a strange blower motor issue, at least I assume it's the blower motor. When the car is running we get a nasty humming/vibration sound that comes and goes. When the noise is happening, there is very little air blowing through the vents, regardless of how high the fan speed is set. When the noise/vibration is not happening, the air seems to be pushing through the vents like normal. Earlier tonight we took the kids for one more ride through town to see some christmas lights. While coming down a hill I put the vehicle in neutral and coasted down the hill. While coasting the noise would come and go many times... every few seconds the noise would be happening with no air blowing... and then it would stop and the air would blow hard. over and over.

While sitting parked in a parking lot I also played with it a bit. While the noise/vibration is happening, if I turn the blower speed up or down, there is no change to the sound (as in the fan does not seem to speed up or slow down). When we don't hear the sound the fan is adjusting accordingly with the climate controls.

Possibly related, but wouldn't bet on it, there did almost seem like at times there maybe was a strange voltage issue. Sometimes when coming to a stop it seemed like the noise would fade and go away, and then while starting to accelerate it would come back. Like wise, while coasting down the hill, it almost seemed like while braking the noise would come back, and while not braking it would go away. This wasn't always the case, but it seemed repeatable a few times.

I'm hoping someone has dealt with this issue or can point me in the right direction. It's winter and now that this problem is happening almost always, no heat is going to be a major issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
-RYknow

Check, and probably replace this electrical part (which seems to be a common defect reported on this forum): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163573-0001.pdf

OP
OP
R

RYKnow

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. After much googling and checking various videos on youtube, and some hands on diagnosis, I tried replacing the blower motor resistor today (after checking the wiring first, which seemed fine). After replacing the resistor the problem is exactly the same, so I know the resistor is not the problem. In my hands on diagnosing today I found that when the vibration is happening and no air flowing through the vents, I found that if I just bang on the blower motor housing, it instantly stops and the blower motor works properly for a period of time. Ultimately the problem does come back, but a light bang on the box and it stops. This is repeatable, every single time.

The expedition is the EL Limited, and has the automatic HVAC system. I tried to get a manual locally today, but both shops in town didn't have anything in stock. Would anyone have a couple schematics of the HVAC system, and maybe removal steps? Based on my googling I believe the blower motor will drop out of the bottom, but just want to confirm. The blower motor while working does have a rattle almost like maybe something is inside there and or maybe bearings are shot or something. I'd like to take it apart, but just hoping to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks in advance.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. After much googling and checking various videos on youtube, and some hands on diagnosis, I tried replacing the blower motor resistor today (after checking the wiring first, which seemed fine). After replacing the resistor the problem is exactly the same, so I know the resistor is not the problem. In my hands on diagnosing today I found that when the vibration is happening and no air flowing through the vents, I found that if I just bang on the blower motor housing, it instantly stops and the blower motor works properly for a period of time. Ultimately the problem does come back, but a light bang on the box and it stops. This is repeatable, every single time.

The expedition is the EL Limited, and has the automatic HVAC system. I tried to get a manual locally today, but both shops in town didn't have anything in stock. Would anyone have a couple schematics of the HVAC system, and maybe removal steps? Based on my googling I believe the blower motor will drop out of the bottom, but just want to confirm. The blower motor while working does have a rattle almost like maybe something is inside there and or maybe bearings are shot or something. I'd like to take it apart, but just hoping to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks in advance.

I do not have the manual or schematics for you.

However, several have posted on this forum that they removed the front HVAC blower motor from below, but it was difficult to remove due to the lack of clearance. I recall the posters stating that they pulled back the carpet and under-pad, and it took some “wiggling” to get the motor out.

The banging on the HVAC case may be jarring the pigtail connector mentioned in the TSB. Did you examine it to see if it was charred or damaged? Others have mentioned on the forum that the original pigtail connector would get very hot to the touch (when operating).

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cardiagn.com Ford Gen3 Climate Control Systems

1640870474121.png

ItemPart NumberDescription
1N811040RH lower instrument panel insulator pin-type retainer (2 required)
278046A24RH lower instrument panel insulator
302348Junction box cover
4Blower motor electrical connector (part of 18B518)
5W701696Blower motor screw (3 required)
619805Blower motor
Removal and Installation

1. Remove the 2 RH lower instrument panel insulator pin-type retainers and remove the insulator (if equipped).
  2. Remove the RH lower A-pillar junction box cover.
  3. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
  4. Remove the 3 blower motor screws.
  5. NOTE: The carpet below the blower motor must be repositioned, the blower motor will have to be carefully manipulated along the dash panel insulator, and the dash panel insulator will have to be slightly deflected to allow the blower motor to clear the heater core and evaporator core housing.
    Remove the blower motor in the following sequence.
    1. Rotate the blower motor housing until the vent tube opening is facing the rear of the vehicle.
    2. Depress the ridges in the dash panel insulator to allow the blower motor to be removed.
    3. Remove the blower motor.
  6. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Best I could do ....

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RYKnow

Reaction score
I do not have the manual or schematics for you.

However, several have posted on this forum that they removed the front HVAC blower motor from below, but it was difficult to remove due to the lack of clearance. I recall the posters stating that they pulled back the carpet and under-pad, and it took some “wiggling” to get the motor out.

The banging on the HVAC case may be jarring the pigtail connector mentioned in the TSB. Did you examine it to see if it was charred or damaged? Others have mentioned on the forum that the original pigtail connector would get very hot to the touch (when operating).
Yes, with the vehicle running I played around with the pigtail and the wiring to see if it made any difference, and it didn't. I did end up disconnecting the pigtail and it was warm to the touch, but the terminals inside were clean and in good shape. It showed no signs of corrosion or burning. I guess I would just want to clarify that the pigtail in question would be the one connected to the regulator, correct? It was accessible by dropping the glove box down, and reaching in under the dash (two 8mm bolts held it in place)?

Cardiagn.com Ford Gen3 Climate Control Systems

View attachment 71565

ItemPart NumberDescription
1N811040RH lower instrument panel insulator pin-type retainer (2 required)
278046A24RH lower instrument panel insulator
302348Junction box cover
4Blower motor electrical connector (part of 18B518)
5W701696Blower motor screw (3 required)
619805Blower motor
Removal and Installation

1. Remove the 2 RH lower instrument panel insulator pin-type retainers and remove the insulator (if equipped).
  2. Remove the RH lower A-pillar junction box cover.
  3. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
  4. Remove the 3 blower motor screws.
  5. NOTE: The carpet below the blower motor must be repositioned, the blower motor will have to be carefully manipulated along the dash panel insulator, and the dash panel insulator will have to be slightly deflected to allow the blower motor to clear the heater core and evaporator core housing.
    Remove the blower motor in the following sequence.
    1. Rotate the blower motor housing until the vent tube opening is facing the rear of the vehicle.
    2. Depress the ridges in the dash panel insulator to allow the blower motor to be removed.
    3. Remove the blower motor.
  6. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Best I could do ....

This should be perfect! Thank you!

nitro nicky

Reaction score
Often it's a simple thing like a group of pine needles trying to work their way past the 'Squirrel Cage' fan assembly. I've had that happen numerous times over the years. Do you have access to a powerful air compressor you could try to use with an air wand attachment? Nico

tucker ray

Reaction score
I had this exact issue. Same symptoms and everything down to the smacking the box and having it kick on and I also have a 2015 EL. Replaced resistor, did not help. I replaced the whole motor (really wasn't that hard, make sure you take out floor mat). I also replaced the wire harness. When I looked at the connector there was some black coloration inside it. There are multiple pictures in the Amazon reviews of people with this same black discoloration (one included below). It sounds like that may be the case with you, as mine was definitely an electrical problem and without replacing the harness, you will just ruin the new motor/resistor. It was easier than I thought but you will need either a soldiering iron, or smaller wire connectors than Motorcraft provides. Here is the procedure video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Ae37Zx90E and here is the link to the connector I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYM05G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Amazon says it "Does not fit your vehicle", but it does). I still had the issue after replacing both the resistor and this connector, but once I replaced the motor I have not had an issue since. Got that from RockAuto ($137 vs 320 from Ford): https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3768039&cc=3308768&pt=6916&jsn=630

Good Luck

Attachments

• connector image.jpg
    connector image.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 6