Strange Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vapor

Reaction score
I have a 2000 expedition, about 3 months ago the radio and wipers would stop working while I was driving and would start working again if the car was restarted or sometimes if the bright lights were turned on. Just as I was ready to take it in for service these things stopped. Yesterday the radio stopped playing and would start again if the car was put in neutral and then in drive again. The next morning the wipers, parking lights and radio were on when I got to the car. Without the key in the ignition all electrical works just like the key is in the on position. When the key is in the ignition and turned to the on position the car starts on its own. While it is running every few seconds the starter will engage and grind. I had a locksmith check the key cylinder,starter switch and column everything there is ok.

Would like to know if anyone has had these problems or has some ideas

vapor

ghindy2002

Reaction score
mine did the same exact thing. Reseal the windshield and it will take care of the problem. It took me forever to get the problem solved.. But it is caused fromt the windshield leaking and dripping down on the GEM module

OP
OP
V

vapor

Reaction score
Thanks, I took out the fuse box and it did have signs of corrosion and water. I'm going to replace the box and see what happens.

ghindy2002

Reaction score
let me know how much (if you don't mind). When I took mine to the garage and they replace the GEM module it cost over 550.00. I think if I would have let it dry out I could have save the 550.00 and just got away with resealing the windshield.

Reaction score
I have a 2000 EB that had some strange electrical problems. The radio would change stations all by itself continuously for 2 days. Then it stopped. Hasnt happened since.

Any advice on what to do to prevent this from happening again? Do you think it's a symptom of a bigger electrical problem waiting to occur?

Thanks

ghindy2002

Reaction score
Not sure on that one. Mine was GEM module that got wet from a leaky windshield. Until it dried out the powerwindows and radio would only work in park or neutral. On the dash my 4x4 and "add wiper fluid" would flash in drive, & running board lights would stay on with no key in ignition. My gauges would sweep intermittently. The heater would blow air also. All this would go on until the battery went dead. Sorry I c ouldn't help.
But I was glad to hear I wasn't the only one with a STRANGE electical problem. But also sorry we had to have the electrical problem,

OP
OP
V

vapor

Reaction score
my problems started several months ago with wiper and radio problems like yours, then they cleared up for several months. Just the other day the bottom dropped out with all the problems. You may want to take the time to either seal your windshield or take out the fuse box and look for water damage.

Several people have told me that the GEM is probably ok and just the fuse box needs to be repaired or replaced. I tried to open the box to do a clean job but it looks like it could be a real hassle( lots of small pieces to deal with). a new one is about 128.00 Iwill be replacing it soon and will post results.

Reaction score
I took my 2000 4.6 EB in this morning to get the head gasket replaced. I mentioned the strange radio activity over the two days. The service advisor says "no problem, we'll just replace the radio". Now, i'm not sure that the radio is the problem, it may be purely electrical. Maybe in the fuse box or something. Guess i'll take the new radio and look in the fuse box for moisture myself.

OP
OP
V

vapor

Reaction score
I replaced the fuse box and everything is working fine, I assume the leak is from the windshield and will reseal it.

nsilta

Reaction score
still leaking!!!

Ok, There's a lot of these leakers! I had all the wierd electrical problems, took it in and Ford replaced both fusebox and GEM for $700 (both were heavily corroded) and told me to reseal the windshield. Ok no problem. So the recommended glass shop says "we may break it taking it out', guess what, it broke. $300 to replace and the next time it rained I had another leak! It drips right down the drivers post and on to the boxes. I cannot see any other way for water to enter the post except the windshield. Does anyone know of any other way for water to enter the roof post?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK