Strange Electrical problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragboat

Reaction score
2001 Eddie Bauer, 5.4 engine. On the return leg of a road trip I started experiencing some strange electrical problems. First I noticed the overhead map lights would not work when switched on. Then they would blink. Then I noticed the low washer fluid and 4x4 light would come on at the same time and then go out. When those lights came on the map lights would go out. After about ten minutes of this the radio lost all power and the blinking caution lights stopped blinking and remained off. The map lights returned to working normally. We completed the last 150 miles with out the radio. When we got home and parked radio power was restored when I shifted into park. The washer fluid and 4x4 lights blinked on a few more times. I shut it down planning to look at it today. When I got up this morning the headlights were on. They hadn't been on long because the engine cranked over normally but would not start. I switched the lights out of auto to off and they went off. I then noticed that the blower would run on full blast when the key was switched off and removed. I shifted the shifter from park to neutral and the engine started. The panel lights were dim. I shut it off and tried another restart with no luck, it just cranks.

We were in heavy rain most of the day yesterday and I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Is there a central computer that could have gotten wet? If so, where is it? Any other ideas would be helpful.

Dave

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Personally I'm not sure what's going on with your truck & it sounds like a dozy, but the PCM/ECU is located on the passanger side firewall inside the engine compartment bolted on top with a black bracket surrounding it just behind where the battery is located, can be easily seen having three big clip on connectors attached

OP
OP
R

ragboat

Reaction score
It is definitely water related. After it dried out things returned to normal. Yesterday it rained again and problems began returning. It seem that the windshield is leaking and allowing water to drip onto the wiring on the drivers side. I looked at the drain for the sun roof and it appears to be working properly. With the door post plastic off I could see water seeping along the side of the windshield. As soon as it stops raining and things dry out I plan to attempt to reseal the windshield.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yours is easy. I had basically the same deal on my 2000. It's a wet gem module under driver's side dash, that's acting up. Mine was even worse in the beginning, my starter would activate while it was running. Have a shop pull your windshield, and seal it good. I did mine from outside myself, but it didn't totally seal it. On top of the sealing with 3m windshield sealer, you'll need at least a full tube and a caulking gun. I pulled the electric plugs that go to the Gem, loaded them with dielectric grease, and wrapped plastic bags around both the fuse box and Gem. I can drive in the worst storm now, and all is well. No Gremlins, no weird stuff. Trust me, do what I did, it works!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ragboat

Reaction score
That sounds like a great plan. Currently I have water dripping out of the large bundle that goes to the fuse box. I don't know which unit it the GEM. I have also been told there is a body control module in that area also. I can't tell what is what. I will have to do just an outside seal with caulk for now because it is the only vehicle I have running. It seems like everything breaks at once.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seal around driver's side windshield top and bottom out to about Midway is what I did. Also pull the trim around the driver's side A pillar, and load up there with the 3 m sealant. You can buy it at Oreillys or Autozone, or any auto body supply shop. Your probably going to need 2 tubes. The biggest change was when I sealed those plugs on Gem and under dash fuse box. The Gem is right behind the fuse box, driver's side. Don't try to take it out, just let it dry out on it's own. Theirs a few items you'll have to remove under dash to get to both. Just make sure you disconnect your battery before you start. Don't need any surprises while working there. Oh yeah to get windshield wiper off after removing nut, I use a small battery post puller, but you can tap lightly on shaft and use a small prybar underneath to pop it up. The plastic cap that covers the nut comes up with a real small screwdriver or pick. Good luck, you'll love the difference.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just had a Crown Vic with one front signal lamp that slowly illuminated when parked in the rain. Fiddle with the hazard lights and it would go out. Come out in an hour and watch it slowly come back on.