Strange misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Utah Driver

Reaction score
Was it raining the days you hit codes? I had an issue 1 time I’m my 2017 expo in the rain. No acceleration and check engine light. I restarted the truck and never had another issue. I’ve heard under the right conditions, the truck will hit limp mode due to rain.
That is a known issue with the tps. There is an updated TPS.

OP
OP
D

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
So over the last week or so the expy was just misfiring like crazy, not always throwing the flashing check engine light, but it was seriously annoying. So I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a set of the NGK Rutheniums.

The Motorcrafts had right around 15k miles. The gap on all of them were around .034”. Cylinder 1 plug looks particularly bad, which makes sense with the previous codes showing misfires on that cylinder.

The NGKs all measured .028” out of the box, which was what I wanted. Got them thrown in yesterday, and so far so good. Running so much better at both idle and under acceleration. I’ll try to report back over the next few weeks about performance.

Do not buy Motorcraft plugs.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do not buy Motorcraft plugs.
Been preaching this in several threads and EcoBoost forums for years. There was a set of Performance plugs from Ford that weren't bad for a while, but those are scarce.

Here is the plugs I recommend for any Ecoboost Expedition, also gapped at .028 like you did. Even stock like you said will see a smoother idle.

OP
OP
D

drbr0b0tnik

Reaction score
Been preaching this in several threads and EcoBoost forums for years. There was a set of Performance plugs from Ford that weren't bad for a while, but those are scarce.

Here is the plugs I recommend for any Ecoboost Expedition, also gapped at .028 like you did. Even stock like you said will see a smoother idle.

I actually used your link from another thread to verify part numbers. I did wind up buying them off RockAuto, just because I got them for ~$65 shipped, and they happened to all be gapped at .028 out of the box. But so far they’ve been phenomenal, especially compared to how it was driving.

iowacarpenter

Reaction score
I actually used your link from another thread to verify part numbers. I did wind up buying them off RockAuto, just because I got them for ~$65 shipped, and they happened to all be gapped at .028 out of the box. But so far they’ve been phenomenal, especially compared to how it was driving.

Yeah the OE parts have slipped a lot in quality. These motors are really picky about their ignition components.