Stuck at an intersection, Expedition 2019 won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake8

Reaction score
Story: Yesterday, I was driving a few hours none stop, assuming the battery should get charged in such a situation, nope, wrong. I got to a red light, stopped, the auto shutoff function kicks in and there goes the car turning off. The battery was drained and unable to startup the car. I actually started noticing problems a few minutes earlier, while driving the car at about 35mph, it just went into neutral gear on it own while driving, a minute before that the car shutoff at the last light but was able to startup over again with my first attempt(first time in over 30k miles).

I bought the vehicle in December of 2019.

Questions:
Should I go buy a AGM battery charger or should I just buy a new battery?
Should I try the dealership to see if something is draining the battery or is 2 years expected out of this vehicle battery? I never left the lights on or anything like that.
I have a recall from Ford about 21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDEr, 21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE. Can any of this be related to the battery issue?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, advice or comments.

Last edited:

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your alternator is charging correctly, then your battery is done, over, toast, kaput. Time for a new battery.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. With a fully charged battery, and the engine running, you could test the alternator, or drive to an Autozone for an alternator load test.
Read the voltage on the meter - Start the engine and observe the voltage on the meter. The voltage should read a minimum of 13 volts. A good alternator should put out between **13.5-14.5 volts. Stress test the alternator - Place a load on the alternator by turning on the headlights, the radio and the air conditioning

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to load test battery after charging it. Should charge to 13.4-13.6 volts. Put a voltage meter on battery terminals and start the truck, watch the meter and you will know where the problem lies. Once started should go over 14 volts for a bit. Voltage on start should not drop below 12 volts. Could be bad connections on battery.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Need to load test battery after charging it. Should charge to 13.4-13.6 volts. Put a voltage meter on battery terminals and start the truck, watch the meter and you will know where the problem lies. Once started should go over 14 volts for a bit. Voltage on start should not drop below 12 volts. Could be bad connections on battery.
"Could be bad connections on battery."
Check the battery terminals closely. Should not be any corrosion on an AGM battery. Make certain where the wires terminate into the connectors are good & solid.
These 4th Gens are very battery sensitive.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard of weird stuff happening in these with bad batteries, but just randomly going into neutral on its own, not so much. Especially when at that point the cat should be running off the alternator, not the battery.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Questions:
Should I go buy a AGM battery charger or should I just buy a new battery?
Should I try the dealership to see if something is draining the battery or is 2 years expected out of this vehicle battery? I never left the lights on or anything like that.
I have a recall from Ford about 21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDEr, 21B10 POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE REPROGRAM FOR CAM PHASER RATTLE. Can any of this be related to the battery issue?

Thanks in advance for any opinions, advice or comments.

Maybe Both
I'd agree that it's probably new battery time. Now, if you want to buy a charger too, here's what I did: for about a year the Auto Stop/Start on my '19 hasn't been working. It doesn't get driven as much as I planned, so I bought a Noco Genius 10 battery charger that has a setting for AGM batteries. It will charge them up and maintain it with trickle charge mode. I can usually tell when the battery needs to be charged when the rear doors fail to unlock by touch, the radio won't stay on the full ten minutes after shutting down, or a power step is slow to retract. I'll put the charger on it to top off the battery. Even leaving the charger connected for two days, the Auto Stop/Start still does not work--not that I consider that a bad thing. Mine will be three years old the end of the month so I will probably need a new battery myself.