Stuck ignition- cold temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csanch40

Reaction score
Good morning,

I walked out to start my 04 XLT 5.4 2v this morning and noticed the ignition would not budge. The key would go in but no luck getting it to turn. It is a pretty cold morning here in Indiana, with a wind chill below zero. I am sure this has something to do with it. The wheel moved so it was not locked. My thought is a possible switch failing in the cold. Does anybody have similar experiences?

Thanks!

brotherbeard

Reaction score
Maybe the key or switch has worn out I’m in Georgia so we don’t get temps like that so you could be right but if the switch Had a little play in it as if it had the wrong key in it I’d say the key is maybe worn down

CurtyNeal

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem intermitently with my '04 Eddie Bauer, especially when it is very cold. I wiggle the key, take it out, turn it over, and reinsert and, so far, have been able to get it to turn eventually. Yesterday morning at about 10 degrees it took me several minutes before turning. I have imagined part of the tumbler mechanism might be gunked up and wondered if liquid graphite might be the answer. I need to try something before I get stranded, especially since my driver's door handle cable in my '94 Ford Centurion C-350 conversion 4-Door Bronco has stretched and won't open from the inside. I have to have at least one reliable vehicle.

Has anybody had to replace the tumbler in these? I imagine it is a little more involved than my C-350.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been having the same problem intermitently with my '04 Eddie Bauer, especially when it is very cold. I wiggle the key, take it out, turn it over, and reinsert and, so far, have been able to get it to turn eventually. Yesterday morning at about 10 degrees it took me several minutes before turning. I have imagined part of the tumbler mechanism might be gunked up and wondered if liquid graphite might be the answer. I need to try something before I get stranded, especially since my driver's door handle cable in my '94 Ford Centurion C-350 conversion 4-Door Bronco has stretched and won't open from the inside. I have to have at least one reliable vehicle.

Has anybody had to replace the tumbler in these? I imagine it is a little more involved than my C-350.

Over years of use, metal keys wear down and do not correctly push the tumblers in the lock cylinder.

You could have a new key cut from the key code, that a Ford dealer could look-up. Or, if you have a good original key, try that?

If you have a key cut from the existing worn-down key, you’ll end up with the same worn down cuts.

CurtyNeal

Reaction score
Over years of use, metal keys wear down and do not correctly push the tumblers in the lock cylinder.

You could have a new key cut from the key code, that a Ford dealer could look-up. Or, if you have a good original key, try that?

If you have a key cut from the existing worn-down key, you’ll end up with the same worn down cuts.
That makes sense. I have been needing another key anyway. Thanks for the advice.