Stupid Crappy Underbody Protection!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All of this got trapped in the stupid flimsy larger underbody “protector”. All we did was drive on a few slushy roads to pick up lunch.

Came back out after I finished watching the 24 Hours of Daytona to clean my Explorer off and noticed the belly piece hanging REAL low. 2 screws and it is flimsy as heck! Spent the next hour cleaning out all the trapped wet compacted snow from everywhere. Such a terrible design. Anybody else who regularly gets snow have this issue.

974dc1789411864dffeb86f11819882a.jpg

PS - Still really impressed by the 4WD systems in these things. Handles traction issues like a champ even with Stock 22’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got salt!?!?

Man that sucks. Glad I don't live in the NE anymore and clearly if so this truck wouldn't last long.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:rolleyes: If I still lived in CT, I'd be doing the same thing right now as you Loki.
I'm thinking of taking mine off ( 2 of 2 cloth guards).
Any concerns about doing that?
I know it protects the intercoolers and transmission pan.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Texas person here, so forgive my stupid question...and I’m not asking this to be a jerk, I promise, I’m just curious....

Won’t it just, ya know, melt? I mean, I get that stuff shouldn’t collect up there, but wouldn’t it all just melt out when you get home?

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Texas person here, so forgive my stupid question...and I’m not asking this to be a jerk, I promise, I’m just curious....

Won’t it just, ya know, melt? I mean, I get that stuff shouldn’t collect up there, but wouldn’t it all just melt out when you get home?
It stays cold in the north my friend.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

'nother Texas person here... but I've lived above the frost line. It might melt, but then again, it might build up and freeze up until it puts the squeeze on something significant. depends on which way the temperature goes.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct it will EVENTUALLY melt.

Ever seen those piles of compacted snow in parking lots? Seen how long they stay around? Compacted snow has some staying power. Not only that but it can do A LOT of damage also. This was pushing up on lots of things, like the Cats.

It honestly would have probably ripped the corners where the screws are if it had gotten much worse, and just fell down. Don’t need that tomorrow morning when I am taking the wife to work tomorrow for her 12 hour shift...

It is just a terrible design in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:rolleyes: If I still lived in CT, I'd be doing the same thing right now as you Loki.
I'm thinking of taking mine off ( 2 of 2 cloth guards).
Any concerns about doing that?
I know it protects the intercoolers and transmission pan.

There is actually ZERO protection for the IC. There is a large unprotected gap right behind the air dam. This concerns me, cause I found some snow build up on the backside of the IC on the lower sections.

The Trans would be where I would be concerned. I think under non snow conditions it probably doesn’t do a bad job of protecting from road debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May want to check out this thread if you're interested in installing proper skid plates. Main options seem to be the OEM Ford skid plates from the FX4 package combined with the Raptor transmission skid plate, or going aftermarket with something like the RCI skid plates. I live in the snow belt and have OEM Ford skid plates with the Raptor transmission skid plate and have never experienced snow accumulating like you mentioned.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/adding-skid-plates-to-2018-limited-with-tow-package.38146/