Stupid Transfer Case/Transmission question time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
I've got a 1998 XLT 5.4/4R100. Here's the back story. About two years ago in 4lo on a VERY steep hill climb I lost some transmission fluid, I replaced it and all was well for a month or so until we went out exploring again and after about three miles in 4lo the trans was slipping and I was trying to nurse it to civilization, I did not make it. After successfully getting it out of the woods and to a highly rated and respected trans shop in the area the trans was rebuilt and all was well! Almost three years, a new motor, a road trip from GA to CO, LOTS of dirt road exploring in 4Xhi and lo, and generally a lot of good use during our thanksgiving trip after about 30min in 4lo it started slipping again but nowhere near as bad. Once we were off the trail and back in 2high I have since noticed not a thing wrong! I've got an appointment with my local transmission guru to look at it on the 22nd of Dec. Anything you degenerates can think of I need to be looking at in the meantime? T/C issues maybe? Since the problem seems to rear it's head when 4wd is used I was wondering if the AWD clutch may be an issue? Just trying to think of possible courses of action. THANKS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketravis