Subtle Vibration and Random Metallic Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BinaryExpert

Reaction score
Thanks all for sharing helpful information and helping others.

I bought a new 2019 Expy Max Platinum 3 months ago and drove about 6100 miles so far. Started from about 3 weeks ago, it does not drive as solid/quiet/smooth as before. I feel a very subtle vibration continuously coming from the bottom of the car (feel more clearly from acceleration pedal and a bit from steering wheel as well). It feels like a subtle metal grinding (and possibly dragging although I can't tell) and I feel it better when the car is coasting straight at low speed in the morning. Although I don't hear anymore, I (and my wife) also heard several times a pretty loud metallic noise/rattle for a very short period time (1~2 second). I suspect this is how it started. They don't seem to be related to steering/acceleration/braking as they are pronounced when the car is coasting straight. The speed does not seem to be related either. I still hear a small (not loud anymore) random metallic noise from the bottom from time to time mostly in the morning.

From symptoms, I suspect u-joint, brake disc/rotor, shaft connections or lack of lubrication, but it could be a completely different thing as the car mechanics are complex. Any advice or suggestions?

OP
OP
B

BinaryExpert

Reaction score
I just got back from my test drive in 4A, and am very disappointed. It still happened in 4A. Is it possible this exact problem could happen in 4A (if engaging/disenganging is not perfect, maybe)?
I also found this interesting YouTube

OP
OP
B

BinaryExpert

Reaction score
I just got back from my test drive in 4A, and am very disappointed. It still happened in 4A. Is it possible this exact problem could happen in 4A (if engaging/disenganging is not perfect, maybe)?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Honestly, I don’t remember if mine happened in 4 as well or just 2. I THINK it was both because it’s an engagement issue, but possibly not because the issue stems from the fact the system can’t hold in 2 and slips into 4; so if you’re choosing 4 I would think the issue would not present.

But I just don’t remember, I’m sorry.

OP
OP
B

BinaryExpert

Reaction score
Thanks Aggie. You helped me a lot already. BTW, I tried to record the sound this morning to show to a technician tomorrow, and the grinding noise/vibration seemed to get worse since my 2H/4A test yesterday. It happens as much or more in 4A as in 2H. The sound is recorded but it is not crystal clear when I replay.
On a slightly different note, I made an appointment at different dealership this time as I don't like the dealership where I bought the car. Is there any danger in this change with respect to warranty coverage? Any advice would appreciated. Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357