Subtle Vibration and Random Metallic Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S Mathieson

Reaction score
I am having a similar issue with my 2018 Expy Plat Max, however my new 2019 F150 LTD is even worse!!
Unit only has 3500 kms on it and the dealer has replaced, Axels, Differencial, Drive Shaft etc etc etc !
The "Icing n the Cake" is unit sustained $4000.00 in hail damage while it was at the dealership!! The Dealer and Ford Canada refuse to replace the vehicle? I have owned this unit since June of this year and have only been able to drive it for a matter of weeks do to the mechanical issues. I was considering on changing my fleet over to Ford however thinking differantley now!
Might be time to get my Attorney involved?

OP
OP
B

BinaryExpert

Reaction score
Although I failed to reproduce the problem to technician, I'd like to share useful information I learned from my service visit. My noise and vibration are usually pronounced within 5 minutes of driving when they happen, which indicates that it is related to IWE operation. Anyway, below is official information.

SSM 48088 - 2019 F-150/Expedition/Navigator - 4WD - Revised IWE Operation Strategy After Initial Start Up
2019 F-150/Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with four-wheel drive (4WD) have a revised transfer case control module (TCCM) strategy that will affect IWE operation after initial start up. The TCCM will not energize the solenoid to supply vacuum to the IWEs after the initial key cycle and a driven gear is selected. The IWEs will remain engaged for 0.8 km (0.5 mi) when the temperature is above 0 C (32 F) and 3 km (2 mi) when below 0 C (32 F). The strategy changes were implemented to improve vacuum supply management and axle warm up in cold temperatures. The engine must run for a minimum of 5 minutes to build sufficient vacuum before performing any vacuum related testing. Refer to the workshop manual section 307-08A.

If you have heard any metallic noise and vibration (small or big) from near front wheel within first few minutes of driving in the morning, please leave a comment here.

Todd C

Reaction score
I made an appointment for my 2019 Exp Platinum for this week. There are subtle bumps on the street leading to my house, it's embarrassing and saddening to rattle down the road. Sometimes the rattle sounds like a pebble in an old hubcap. This problem started around 6K, I'll post an update when the problem is addressed.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if this is what I have going on. I have an issue (not always there) that feels like slight shuddering in the drivetrain. It is more noticeable when under very light acceleration at low speeds. You can feel the vehicle jolt like the transmission is slipping. Going slowly up a steep grade will make it more pronounced.

I was towing a 4000 lb trailer last week and it happened again under light acceleration, but much scarier feeling with that heavy load on it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some have had issues with their rear differential.....check it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01