subwoofer and amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gherbo

Reaction score
I want to replace my factory subwoofer with two 10inch woofers and amp but dont know if I should also replace the factory head unit?

Any amps out there that all to be connected with the factory head unit?

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I connected my two 12" kickers to the factory amp for a year or so, before i finally bit the bullet and installed and aftermarket amp on my 12's. How much thump are you looking for? Do you want to rattle the windows or do you just want to as some solid low end? If you just need some low end, there is a write up in this section about me doing it.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are alot of amps out there that will connect to the high line outputs of the factory amp or head unit. If it was up to me and using a factory head unit, I would just use the outputs of the factory amp, into the aftermarket high level inputs, the hard part to me is finding the switched wire and a large enough power/ground for your amp. If you have to run those wire, at that point I would run an RCA cable next to it, and spend an extra $100 on a new radio with sub outs

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
John, how big an amp can you run safely off the stock wiring? I agree, running a thick 8 gauge or bigger hot lead from battery is a bit of work. I'm guessing the factory 12 volt lead is only 12 gauge at most.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would guess without looking your right, it is probably 12 gauge at the most, which is good for 20 amps, 10 is good for 30, 8 is good for 45, 6 for 60amps. I got 6 in mine with a 60 amp AGU type fuse and have never had an issue

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to guess then, 40-50 watts would be probably the biggest you'd want to run safely.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never seen an amp with only a 20 amp fuse, or even 30 amp. I would think you could get away with a 100 watt amp, but there is a catch. When you have bass hits, the capacitors in an amp aren't big enough/don't store enough power, so when you have bass and stuff the amp draw is more than 30 amps, even on a smaller amplifier. Plus take in account resistance when having a smaller gauge wire, so you draw more amperage. No good outcome... The best bet is to run a minimum of a 8 gauge, with a remote turn on lead, and a set of RCA cables.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WOW, a 14 gauge ground? Just a little FYI for all of you who don't know. The power and ground should ALWAYS be the same size wire