subwoofer and amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently the stock 35-60 watt subwoofer amps that come on the Mach, and premium subwoofers seem to work. I remember back in the 80's, I bought 2 Alpine car amps. One was 50 wpc, the other 60 wpc. The yellow power lead that came in the box was 10 gauge. The bigger 60 watt one, was bridgeable to 120. I ran a heavier 6 gauge from battery to a splitter in the back. But I guess the thinner 10 gauge was heavy enough, according to Alpine.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
WOW, a 14 gauge ground? Just a little FYI for all of you who don't know. The power and ground should ALWAYS be the same size wire

That struck me as odd too. When I made the harness, I took the wire sizing off the Ford wiring diagrams. Then I bought an amp from a junkyard that had the stub end of the connector on it and it confirmed that the hot lead was larger than the ground. Perhaps, I though, since the amp is grounded to the body through its mounting bolts, they cheaped out on the ground strap?

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That struck me as odd too. When I made the harness, I took the wire sizing off the Ford wiring diagrams. Then I bought an amp from a junkyard that had the stub end of the connector on it and it confirmed that the hot lead was larger than the ground. Perhaps, I though, since the amp is grounded to the body through its mounting bolts, they cheaped out on the ground strap?

technically it is attached to the metal of the car, but the chassis of the amp is not supposed to be connected to the actual ground, key words "supposed to be"!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I used multiple amps, I never went crazy with ground sizes. The Alpines weren't that big, and even a big 50 watt x4 McIntosh amp that I used in my Lincoln only had 12 gauge I believe. Never had any sound issues, or any lights flickering, so I guess the small size worked. Now if I ran multiple monster amps, then that might have been a different story.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk