Subwoofer upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by The_Texas_Bandit, Jul 1, 2019.

1. The_Texas_Bandit

The_Texas_Bandit New Member

First and for most hey everyone I'm new to the forum, even though the Expedition is my wife's ride. Anyways I have a question for all y'all audio gear heads. I have 2 diamond audio 6.5 component subwoofers (as I was told they where. I paid like $10 for the pair), and I was wondering how hard would it be to modify the factory mach audio 8 inch box to fit both of them in it? Current mach sub is pretty much blown out, and my 10 inch Sony Xplod in a custom ported box is too loud for my wife. (I honestly think it's under powered since it's running on factory amp, but it's whatever. If she wants it to be toned down I'll do it for her.) How hard would it be to do something like this?

2. TC16XLT

TC16XLT Active Member

This is the factory enclosure, and there's definitely not enough room for two 6.5's. you'd be better off building your own that bolts to the factory mounts, but even then, I don't think you'd have enough box volume for two.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. johnboneske

johnboneske Full Access Members

If you look back through the audio section, I used to run a pair of 12" kickers with the factory amp. While it won't shake the rear view mirror, it gave plenty of power for low end, way more than the single factory 8. Two 6.5" subs(if you even want to say those are subs) will never give you any kind of.performance. If she thinks the 10 is to much, why not just turn down the sub volume/reduce the bass?

4. The_Texas_Bandit

The_Texas_Bandit New Member

That don't look like a factory box for a 01' Expedition. I should have put that in lol

Tried that but it's still to loud for her. Plus she'd like to get the cargo area back since we have 4 kids that we haul around in it, and the box takes dang near all of the cargo room.

5. TC16XLT

TC16XLT Active Member

Sorry, I went straight to 3rd gen box on you there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. purevw

purevw Member

There is always a way. My vehicle is a 2011 King Ranch EL, but something similar could probably be done for yours. I made it from scratch. The box works as a center console with the seats up, and fills the gap between the seats when hauling cargo. That's a down-firing pair of 10s, isolated from each other. Each compartment provides 1.1 Cu Ft of volume, which is what the woofer manufacturer called for.

Woofer-In-Expedition.jpg

Woofer-Finished.jpg

mjp2 and TC16XLT like this.
  7. knewblewkorvett

knewblewkorvett Full Access Members

Save yourself a lot of trouble and just buy a cheap 8" subwoofer to replace the blown factory subwoofer

rjdelp7 and 1320_Rider like this.
  8. rjdelp7

rjdelp7 2000 XLT

The easy fix, sell the 6.5s and buy a replacement 8". Plenty on Ebay for around $25.