Subwoofer upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First and for most hey everyone I'm new to the forum, even though the Expedition is my wife's ride. Anyways I have a question for all y'all audio gear heads. I have 2 diamond audio 6.5 component subwoofers (as I was told they where. I paid like $10 for the pair), and I was wondering how hard would it be to modify the factory mach audio 8 inch box to fit both of them in it? Current mach sub is pretty much blown out, and my 10 inch Sony Xplod in a custom ported box is too loud for my wife. (I honestly think it's under powered since it's running on factory amp, but it's whatever. If she wants it to be toned down I'll do it for her.) How hard would it be to do something like this?

TC16XLT

Reaction score
First and for most hey everyone I'm new to the forum, even though the Expedition is my wife's ride. Anyways I have a question for all y'all audio gear heads. I have 2 diamond audio 6.5 component subwoofers (as I was told they where. I paid like $10 for the pair), and I was wondering how hard would it be to modify the factory mach audio 8 inch box to fit both of them in it? Current mach sub is pretty much blown out, and my 10 inch Sony Xplod in a custom ported box is too loud for my wife. (I honestly think it's under powered since it's running on factory amp, but it's whatever. If she wants it to be toned down I'll do it for her.) How hard would it be to do something like this?
This is the factory enclosure, and there's definitely not enough room for two 6.5's. you'd be better off building your own that bolts to the factory mounts, but even then, I don't think you'd have enough box volume for two.c4a65e558ece12781482c3750c108e12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look back through the audio section, I used to run a pair of 12" kickers with the factory amp. While it won't shake the rear view mirror, it gave plenty of power for low end, way more than the single factory 8. Two 6.5" subs(if you even want to say those are subs) will never give you any kind of.performance. If she thinks the 10 is to much, why not just turn down the sub volume/reduce the bass?

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
This is the factory enclosure, and there's definitely not enough room for two 6.5's. you'd be better off building your own that bolts to the factory mounts, but even then, I don't think you'd have enough box volume for two.c4a65e558ece12781482c3750c108e12.jpg

That don't look like a factory box for a 01' Expedition. I should have put that in lol

If you look back through the audio section, I used to run a pair of 12" kickers with the factory amp. While it won't shake the rear view mirror, it gave plenty of power for low end, way more than the single factory 8. Two 6.5" subs(if you even want to say those are subs) will never give you any kind of.performance. If she thinks the 10 is to much, why not just turn down the sub volume/reduce the bass?
Tried that but it's still to loud for her. Plus she'd like to get the cargo area back since we have 4 kids that we haul around in it, and the box takes dang near all of the cargo room.

TC16XLT

Reaction score
That don't look like a factory box for a 01' Expedition. I should have put that in lol

Tried that but it's still to loud for her. Plus she'd like to get the cargo area back since we have 4 kids that we haul around in it, and the box takes dang near all of the cargo room.
Sorry, I went straight to 3rd gen box on you there.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is always a way. My vehicle is a 2011 King Ranch EL, but something similar could probably be done for yours. I made it from scratch. The box works as a center console with the seats up, and fills the gap between the seats when hauling cargo. That's a down-firing pair of 10s, isolated from each other. Each compartment provides 1.1 Cu Ft of volume, which is what the woofer manufacturer called for.

Woofer-In-Expedition.jpg

Woofer-Finished.jpg

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The easy fix, sell the 6.5s and buy a replacement 8". Plenty on Ebay for around $25.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Alright giving you guys an update. I found a subwoofer my old lady likes it's a Sony Xplod 10 in sub it's currently in a sealed truck box for right now. She likes that it's not crazy loud like my Alpine Type X 12 or my 10 inch JL audio W3 which both are in ported boxes and I do run a lot of power to them, which is why they are in her terms "very loud" this sub is being ran by the factory amp for now. I do plan to change out the box and do one like how purevw did his setup since our Expedition has 2nd row bucket seats. And I plan to bump the power of the amp up to about 250-300ish RMS on the sub to make it a decent set up for us. I also plan on doing something unique to make it a one of a kind box and something our kiddos would love.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni