Sudden Brake System Failures!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a guy had his 2013 F150 do this with wife driving his kids, down a slow 5mph steep road in town. Truck was 3 days old. Dealer took it back and gave him a new one. She managed to get it stopped without hitting anything via Ebrake.
Crazy stuff

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What causes the failure?
No idea!
He and I talked about it. A neighbor had just had a similar thing happen to his V8 4 runner. In that case it was a well known ABS system issue same system in the V8 SLK also known for the same failure. Literally zero brakes no amount of pedal pumping works etc. Based on his wife’s description sounded exactly the same.

The Chairman

Reaction score
Read here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32828805/ford-f-150-brake-recall/
This happened to my son’s 2016 Espy. The rear seal of the master cylinder leaked and the vacuum booster literally sucked all the brake fluid out of the the reservoir.
I replaced the master cylinder & brake booster as it was full of brake fluid. Fairly easy job. Was shocked to see the booster full of brake fluid...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I blew a brake line on my dads 2001 Chevrolet Impala and when it did, ALL the brake fluid blew out in an instant. It still had mechanical brakes as you pushed the pedal down real hard..... Not great brakes, but you weren't gonna crash.....
I wonder if the expedition is the same?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
some scary stuff, I've unfortunately started playing in my head what i would do during brake failures or the ever more common engine fires. Anyone know if the electronic parking brake will engage at speed? Curious if that's a failsafe if I had to try and slow down in an emergency.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
some scary stuff, I've unfortunately started playing in my head what i would do during brake failures or the ever more common engine fires. Anyone know if the electronic parking brake will engage at speed? Curious if that's a failsafe if I had to try and slow down in an emergency.
Yes all electric ebrakes are gov mandated to apply when moving. You hold the button it will beep at you with anger then apply brake force in a reduced tension to avoid loss of control etc. I tried it on my Subaru once at 25mph stopped me pretty quick with no skidding tires. A few friends with various brand vehicles all have reported the same type of stopping effect with their cars.

The electric ebrakes are also part of the secondary anti collision system. Many accidents have secondary collisions due to drivers getting incapacitated in some manner and the vehicle continues to roll. The electric ebrake vehicles all immediately will lock down the ebrake to help prevent secondary collisions

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes all electric ebrakes are gov mandated to apply when moving. You hold the button it will beep at you with anger then apply brake force in a reduced tension to avoid loss of control etc. I tried it on my Subaru once at 25mph stopped me pretty quick with no skidding tires. A few friends with various brand vehicles all have reported the same type of stopping effect with their cars.

I am not familiar with the theory of operation.

Is it an electric actuator that pumps the hydraulic piston in the rear? Or is it a completely separate system?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357