Suggestions on cleaning chrome wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just got some new to me chrome OEM 22's. The previous owner didn't keep up with cleaning them and even when he took them off for storage in his garage just stacked them with brake dust and all. So of course there is a little pitting and dark spots that didn't just clean right off. What do I need to do to clean off stop any further damage? Thanks in advance.

Victor

OP
OP
rex450se

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is the worst one. It really was just one of the wheels that's bad. I just want to take care of them before it gets worse.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359860977.353190.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359861000.435853.jpg

Thanks
Victor

Sent from my iPhone 17 using Tapatalk

cleaningman94

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried magic erasers I did that on some really bad alloy wheels on my cousins 2001 durango and they look new. Post some finished pictures.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Magic erasers will leave scratches. I had a brake rotor shred and stain a whole side of m truck so i used rubbing compund and got all the crap off by hand. It takes a lot of elbow grease. Also use a chrome wax after u finish getting the brake dust off. It may help to wash the wheel every so often when trying to use the rubbing compound, just make sure to dry it off well.

OP
OP
rex450se

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up using #0000 steel wool to clean off the surface spots and polish it then used Eagle One Nevr Dull. I was hesitant at first with taking steel wool to them but it did wonders. It is a great way to clean chrome rims and I will probably do this periodically to make sure they don't ever look like that again. From even 5 feet away they looked great before, now they really shine. They almost looked photoshopped in the picture of the whole truck. Here's how they turned out.

IMG_0098_zps77dbc6a8.jpg
IMG_0097_zps8dcca7de.jpg
IMG_0086_zpsd8c2f7a7.jpg
IMG_0078_zpsbcc03da5.jpg

Victor

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With chrome rims u have to wash them thoroughly at least weekly. That's why it's so important when choosing rims to also think about how much time and how much work is required to clean them. That's why I don't do inserts and go with no more than 7 spoke rims

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know there are other more expensive polishes out there, but I always had good luck with the plain 'ol Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. Never Dull is good, as well as a chrome polish you can find at Harley Davidson dealerships. Just make sure to keep up with the cleaning like Freeway said, and a coat of wax or Zaino (fairly costly) would be a good idea to protect the finish.

Mikes05expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up using #0000 steel wool to clean off the surface spots and polish it then used Eagle One Nevr Dull. I was hesitant at first with taking steel wool to them but it did wonders. It is a great way to clean chrome rims and I will probably do this periodically to make sure they don't ever look like that again. From even 5 feet away they looked great before, now they really shine. They almost looked photoshopped in the picture of the whole truck. Here's how they turned out.

Victor

That's the same method I used on my Ram, even got the molten rubber off my chrome exhaust tip lol. Always looked brand new when I was done.

Sent from my Bag Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wondering if those rims are actually chromed or "chrome clad" like the 3rd gen factory 20"s.

Matt