Sun shade Squeaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi,
Has anyone else come across an issue where the sun shade squeaks when it's opened or shut? I brought my 2018 Limited back into the dealer for what I thought was a minor issue. That was 6 weeks ago. Yes, six weeks. First they replaced one part, then decided it was another part. Then decided they needed to replace the entire mechanism. Each attempt at fixing it entailed having the tech drop the entire headliner in order to access the parts to be replaced.

Now they tell me that Ford advised them of a run of 'bad stock' for the sunshade mechanism and are going to provide a new sunshade and mechanism from 'good stock'....

Has anyone else run into something similar?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was a fix for this back when this feature was first available on the f150s and super duties but that was a long time ago. The videos may still be available on youtube. When i first got my truck, somethin was rattlin on the passenger side and noone could figure it out. However after a yr n a hlf it wrked itself out and no more rattles.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
@dlcorbett Thanks for the info. I bought the car brand-new in April 2018 and it's under warranty so I'm not going to try to fix it myself. I'm not handy but I am starting to think that I couldn't do worse than the dealer is.... :) Unfortunately my car is still in the shop. After replacing the entire mechanism twice, now the dealer says an Engineer from Ford is going to come out and look at the car.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a squeaking issue in that area. I opened the sunroof and put some silicone lubricant on the weatherstrip that the glass sits on when it's closed. It seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure if yours is the same thing, but it might be worth a try.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks @Squark , but the squeaking is coming from the sun shade, the fabric sort of thing under the sunroof. Not the sunroof itself, although they said they fixed a 'squeak' on that. When the sun-shade is retracted, it sounds like something is under a lot of tension or something.

aziz

Reaction score
after one 2 month it star squeak anyone know who to fix it

StephanPolo

Reaction score
I've never had any issues with my sunshade, but I totally get why you're feeling frustrated. Six weeks is a looooong time to wait for a fix.
I did some digging around and I came across this cool website https://snapshades.com/. They've got some great aftermarket sunshades that might help you solve the squeaking problem. They're easy to install and you won't have to wait weeks for a solution! Just a heads up, though - I haven't tried them myself, so I can't vouch for the quality. But, they seem to have great reviews and the price is right, so it's definitely worth checking out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J
Reaction score
They ended up keeping my car for about +/-13 weeks. They replaced the runners, the shade, everything. Then in Sept the dealer calls me and says, "Hey, we hired someone and he knew exactly how to fix it. Isn't that great??" And I replied, "I'm happy it's fixed but I can't believe you are bragging that the rest of your service men are apparently idiots."

I also had to a noise coming from either the trans or the differentials between 40 and 60 MPH. The dealer kept claiming he didn't see an issue. A second Ford dealer immediately heard/found the problem and fixed the car.

For anyone interested, I would advise you to keep clear of Sheridan Ford in Wilmington, Delaware.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni