Super clean 2001 Expedition XLT (5.4 4x4/AWD; 7k miles per year) in Dallas/Fort Worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, guys. I just listed our 2001 Expedition on craigslist last night. I wanted to throw it out here to all my Expedition brothers. Please let me know your thoughts on my truck, the price I'm asking, and the details I'm sharing in my craigslist ad here: https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/d/flower-mound-super-clean-2001-ford/7059350152.html

Also, you can see 75 photos of the truck here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y3R0TWVIMnVyb0lndXhFQXJmRUluZkhNd0Q2cl93

Happy to answer any questions you guys have. Thanks!

----------- Below is from the Craigslist ad --------------

If you want to own what might be the cleanest, most babied, and best maintained Generation 1 Ford Expedition (the LAST Ford Bronco = 4 doors/solid rear axle), then this is THE ONE for you. When I bought her from the second owner nearly 10 years ago, I must've looked at dozens of Expeditions before I found her. She had just the right history/documentation and level of care that gave me the confidence to pull the trigger and bring her home.

75 photos taken January 19 here (copy/paste hyperlink) https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y3R0TWVIMnVyb0lndXhFQXJmRUluZkhNd0Q2cl93

She is a beautifully maintained and loved 2001 Ford Expedition XLT 4WD/4x4/AWD 5.4 2v with 147k (~7,700 miles driven per year!) that I purchased from the second owner in 2011 (108k). The second owner bought her from the first owner in 2003 (43k). We've driven the Expedition 40k in nine years since 2011, with the majority of the miles being highway driving (baseball tournaments for our boys, college visits with our son, gulf coast for vacations). We used her as a people hauler (not hunted/off-roaded). She has a garage space all her own and has been out of the weather since we've owned her, and it shows.

In December 2019, I'd just completed several major projects on this 2001 Expedition while I was on vacation (projects listed below). I did all of this work just prior to running across and purchasing (not planning on it) the newer Expedition I found locally with a really nice back story and maintenance history. The great news is the next owner of my 2001 Expedition will not have to do a thing to the truck but turn the key and drive.

A little background on me. I'm in my early 50s and restored vintage Mustangs as a hobby for over 35 years, and have been the sole mechanic on for all our personal vehicles over the years (Ford trucks, Expedition, Mustangs, Volvos, Mercedes, Hondas, and a Lexus). I've turned every wrench on this truck and all our vehicles, which I do in a preventative maintenance fashion. We've taken taken excellent care this 2001 Expedition. She needs nothing.

A few details on options/condition/care:
• Clean title in my name in my possession
• XLT model = all the right options. No crappy Ford leather that lasts two years; no Eddie Bauer air suspension that fails
• Tons of room in the front and back seat. I'm 6' 3.5" and with the driver's seat all the way back, I can climb in the back bench seat and the front seat doesn't even touch my knees. The newer Expeditions cannot deliver this leg room (it's crazy to me, but true)
• Original cloth interior and carpet (7 out of 10 very good condition) which is so durable and CLEAN; new console leather cover installed by upholstery shop in Lewisville Dec. 2019
• All power windows and door locks work great
• Original exterior paint (7 out of 10 very good condition for 19 years old) with much of it glossy; I've never color sanded her. She has been touched up with a touch-up pen by the previous owner, but no panels have been replaced or repainted. Note she does have a slight crease in the driver's side rear wheel opening (front of the rear wheel) that goes slightly into the driver's side rear door. This happened at a basketball tournament around 2015 when somebody pulled into a parking spot next to us and brushed into the truck. It's not very noticeable.
• Four new offroad tires (less than 2k miles) with 95% tread left purchased/mounted from Discount Tire
• Mobil 1 synthetic for the past eight years since I've owned her (~5k miles driven per year, with Mobil 1 oil changed every 10-11 months and Fram/Motorcraft filters changed twice a year)
• Runs and drives excellent. Good temp and strong oil pressure, solid braking and cornering. No suspension noise or bounciness. No check engine lights. No engine noise at idle or at speed.
• Very responsive for a 5.4 2v V8 engine; the recent tune up I completed two weeks ago work her up. Also, no worries with broken spark plugs in the cylinder heads (common issue with the 5.4 2v engine = The new Motorcraft plugs I installed on the warm engine were gapped and installed with a light coat of anti-seize less than 100 miles ago.
• No worries about the very costly cam phaser issues that you have to deal with 2004-2012 Expeditions and F150s with the 5.4 3v motor. (2004 was the first year of the 5.4 3v V8 engine)
• Spare tire (great condition), factory jack and lug wrenches all in place; factory manuals and pouch in glove box
• Transmission shifts strong and true; overdrive works as expected
• 4x4 transfer case engages smoothly into 4-high and 4-low
• No oil leaks/drips; no transmission drips
• No interior water leaks or air noise
• 3 working door / ignition keys; remote door and alarm keyfob
• Factory working 6-CD changer in front console
• Cold A/C front and back; heat works front and back; air cycles from defrost vents to passenger vents to floor vents properly
• Emergency/parking brake used on any minor incline and applied with transmission in neutral (taught my family well on this to preserve transmission parking awl)
• K&N air filter in place, with filter cleaned and serviced twice a year
• Husky floor mats/liners
• Factory garage door opener (Home Link / HomeLink)
• Factory front tow hooks
• Tinted windows

List of all maintenance done since 2011:
• 2020: New spark plugs (Motorcraft), new Ford serpentine belt tensioner, idler pulley, serpentine belt; replaced intake manifold and throttle body gaskets (to solve for a two lean fuel codes (air leaking past gaskets = solved!), replaced both valve cover gaskets / bolt grommets (to solve for an oil leak on the passenger side (solved!), new Ford water pump, new thermostat, new transmission range sensor (neutral safety switch); flushed cooling system and replaced coolant; new engine oil and filter (Mobil 1)
• 2019: Replaced all ignition coils (COPs = ignition coils that attach to the spark plugs (no engine misses/codes); new replacement front headlights and front corner turn signal lenses (replacing faded/cloudy originals), replaced lower front valence with reproduction unit to replace original cracked valence with new fog lamp assemblies (truck not set up for factory fog lamps (valence without fog lamps is not available so I added fogs just to get a new valence); 4 new offroad tires from Discount Tire; oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year); new brake pads and rotors (Brakemotive ebay seller) and bled brakes, replacing brake fluid
• 2018: Drained and replaced the engine coolant; replaced the upper control arms with new units (Moog); inspected remaining front suspension components (tie rode ends, sway bar links, ball joints) and lubed front end and steering; also replaced camber bolts (Moog) before having truck aligned; oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year)
• 2017: Used SeaFoam on the engine (pulled into the throttle body via vacuum; noticeable improvement in idle); oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year); tightened up shifter mechanism under the dash to solve for slight slop in shift mechanism; bled/replaced the brake fluid; replaced the alternator and battery; had a third ignition/door key made and programed
• 2016: Pulled driver's side rear door panel to adjust/lube the door handle mechanism; oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year); My son was driving the truck in our neighborhood and ran into the back of a Lexus at a stop sign (he hit the back of the Lexus with the front of the truck. While the two front airbags went off in the Expedition, it only cracked the black plastic valence under the front bumper (the factory tow hooks under the bumper did a number on the Lexus, however). We replaced the airbags and had the airbag RCM board reset (Airbag Systems, Inc.) = no air bag lights/as if nothing had happened). This truck is tough as nails; replaced one spark plug COP that was throwing a code. Looking back at my notes on the truck, the previous owner's wife backed into a vehicle in a parking lot in 2007. They had to file that on insurance he told me. With that said, I'm confident that the truck has all original paint/panels on it.
• 2015: Added 1lb of refrigerant to a/c; new brake rotors and pads on all four corners; bled the brake system and fully replaced all brake fluid; new Bosch RH/rear O2 sensor; new Ford PCV hose from the passenger-side valve cover to the back of the throttle body; oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year)
• 2014: oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year); replaced front a/c blend door motor under the dash (warm air was coming out of the vents with the a/c on = solved!); replaced 2 COPs to solve for an engine miss (check engine light/code)
• 2013: Replaced transfer case shift module (4H engaged on its own in the neighborhood on the way to a baseball game = solved!); oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year); pulled transmission pan and replaced transmission filter and fluid (16-18 quarts) of Mercron fluid when the truck had 114k. Per my notes, the prior fluid was in decent shape (not burnt/no odor)
• 2012: replaced the fluid in the transfer case and differentials; oil (Mobil 1) and filter (two filter changes each year)
• 2011: (when I first purchased the truck): Pulled the odometer to fix the flickering/dimmed odometer (solved!); replaced original tie rod ends and sway bar links with Moog; replaced original shocks with Bilstein HD shocks on all four corners (huge improvement - still rides like a champ in 2020); replaced the original/tired bug guard (on the hood); serviced the windshield washer system (weak spray = solved!); new upper and lower radiator hoses and fresh coolant; new fuel filter; oil (Mobil 1) and filter
• 2010: Prior owner didn' spare any expense (complete A/C service, ball joints, etc). His wife drove the Expedition when they first bought it and he spent a ton of money getting the vehicle serviced and ready for his daughter to drive to high school. He told me she said the truck was too big and didn't want to drive it, which is when he sold it to me. The second owner used conventional motor oil and had it changed every 3k (from 43k to 108k). He was very diligent.

Please note that the Expedition is not perfect. This is a nearly ~20 year old truck (however, with a very light ~7,700 miles driven per year). I did my best to share everything I know about the Expedition. The photos also show every possible angle.

20200119_123241.jpg

20200119_123256.jpg

20200119_123309.jpg

20200119_123323.jpg

20200119_123336.jpg

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks great and the price is right considering people will try and talk you down at least $500. If I already didn't have two Expeditions, I'd make you an offer.