Surging in Manual Gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leave it in drive and use the brakes. Problem solved Lol. I was told and confirmed it with Scotty Kilmer, that down shifting on large hills puts a strain on the drive train. Brakes are cheap, engines aren't.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leave it in drive and use the brakes. Problem solved Lol. I was told and confirmed it with Scotty Kilmer, that down shifting on large hills puts a strain on the drive train. Brakes are cheap, engines aren't.
i have strong doubt with that statement about strain....but who knows..
but my motor home down shifts quite hard when engine brake comes on to aid in the SLOWING down
all three of the f350s did the same thing in tow haul
as did both f150s ?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Strain? Mmmyeah... if you suddenly slam into first gear for emergency redline engine braking, sure

Otherwise? It can deal, it's a truck not a millenial

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Strain? Mmmyeah... if you suddenly slam into first gear for emergency redline engine braking, sure

Otherwise? It can deal, it's a truck not a millenial
and ecm will not allow a shift to occur, no matter the selection if it exceeds rpm limits.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I removed tu tune and returned to stock, but haven't done any mountain descents since to see if problem went away.

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I do a descent on a steep mountain road my 2017 Expedition surges at about a 1 sec rate for most of the descent. This is a run from Alta Ski Resort to the Salt Lake Valley floor. I use third and second gear for most of the 7 mile descent and there is a distinct surging from the engine. I called the dealer about it last year and he said not to worry about it but I would like to know if anyone else experiences this and if it is thought to be a problem. I only have about 11,000 miles on the vehicle and it was doing it since I had less than 3000. It is a little intermittent and seems to be worse at some times than others but it definitely didn't happen with the Suburban I had before buying the Ford.

This same thing happened to me with our 2016 EL Limited. We were going down S. Rambling Road in Draper UT that is fairly steep. I put it in tow mode and it was doing the same thing. It almost felt like it was throttling and then putting on the brake. I ended up putting it back to shift normally then just braking. Its never done it before, and hasn't sense. It was in 2nd and third when it was doing it. It had a apx 50k on it at the time.
I havent told Ford about this issue.

GPRanch

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue with my 2017, 25k miles. Dealer told me not to worry but, to me it is very odd. Has anyone learned any more about his issue? Thanks!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Different but very similar trucks. I'm guessing our Expeditions perform in a similar fashion to the F150 trucks with the same engine and transmission.

Video I saw of late model F150s descending the Eisenhower 7% grade with a 9000 pound trailer show automatic braking as well as transmission downshifting. Due to the different transmission in the video this may be more applicable to the 2019 Expeditions, not the 2017. (?)

-- Chuck

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I do a descent on a steep mountain road my 2017 Expedition surges at about a 1 sec rate for most of the descent. This is a run from Alta Ski Resort to the Salt Lake Valley floor. I use third and second gear for most of the 7 mile descent and there is a distinct surging from the engine. I called the dealer about it last year and he said not to worry about it but I would like to know if anyone else experiences this and if it is thought to be a problem. I only have about 11,000 miles on the vehicle and it was doing it since I had less than 3000. It is a little intermittent and seems to be worse at some times than others but it definitely didn't happen with the Suburban I had before buying the Ford.
My 2017 Limited was doing this when in manual between 2nd an 3rd coming down Sugar Mountain (5500' peak) NC high country. At 13,000 miles as reported on this site the transmission failed and required valve body replacement after transmission acted like was popping out of gear. If transmission is not designed for hills why does the manual reference the use of M setting? Ford repaired free of charge but we were nearly stranded at night on bad road and limped home. In any event suggest you get friendly with your Ford dealer soon.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360