Suspension advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mothra

Reaction score
the rear air suspension in my 2008 el is starting to leak down overnight more and more frequently. It has 200k miles all on the original struts. I plan to replace the fronts and I think I am better off deleting the rear air ride in favor of conventional coil spring struts. There seem to be lots of options. What is my best choice to maintain ride quality and towing/hauling capabilities.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the rear air suspension in my 2008 el is starting to leak down overnight more and more frequently. It has 200k miles all on the original struts. I plan to replace the fronts and I think I am better off deleting the rear air ride in favor of conventional coil spring struts. There seem to be lots of options. What is my best choice to maintain ride quality and towing/hauling capabilities.
I used Arnott to convert my 2009, I was happy with the results.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
are you sure you want to ditch the air ride? it's actually very very easy to install, perhaps easier than a spring setup because you are taking out the entire assembly out and putting the whole new assembly in, no compressing springs or anything like that. it's just 3 bolts on the top of the strut mount plate ( like 10 or 13mm bolts I forget ), and one big bolt at the bottom which you will need a very strong drill for ( regardless of what route you take, you will need a very strong impact wrench ). the drill I used is a Milwuakee mid-torque, do your homework and see what ft-lb the settings have on what ever drill you have or are looking into getting, because that bottom bolt is roughly 450 ft-lb torque that it needs to be re-fastened to.

it looks like amazon is out of stock right now, but I can't imagine they would take that long to restock. you can look at other websites or contact them directly, Suncore is the brand.

when I bought mine last year, it was 491$ for the pair of complete assemblies, you can get the price down by only getting partial assembly however it's very very easy and worthwhile to just get the complete assemblies and do a clean swap of old part / new part.

OP
OP
M

mothra

Reaction score
I walked away from dealing with suspension but its finally getting worse. I appreciate the value of the air suspension but I want to convert mine to conventional coil spring/struts in the rear. 2008 Ford Expedition EL Limited (rear air/front conventional).

The only conversion options I see for the rear end of EL model are:
Suncore
Strutmasters

others?

And it seems to be difficult to find front struts for the EL models with rear air suspension standard. I coudl use some recommendations for this too.