Suspension Enhancements to Help with Sagging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zhbernal

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new to the forum here. Looking to do some mods to our 2004 Expedition with HD tow package. 3.73, 5.4, V8. Tow rated for 8950 w/ a weight distribution hitch. Dropping it off tomorrow at garage.

We tow a 2016 Jayco X254. UVW is 4705. GTWR is 5995. Dry hitch weight is 625.

Looking at installing air bags. Possible with this SUV? Any other enhancements we could do?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zhbernal

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new to the forum here. Looking to do some mods to our 2004 Expedition with HD tow package. 3.73, 5.4, V8. Tow rated for 8950 w/ a weight distribution hitch. Dropping it off tomorrow at garage.

We tow a 2016 Jayco X254. UVW is 4705. GTWR is 5995. Dry hitch weight is 625.

Looking at installing air bags. Possible with this SUV? Any other enhancements we could do?

Thanks!

Picture of setup.

29c5a39806bee8a9a58ba953fd8b6524.jpg

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It'll be hard to find airbags. There is a complete air ride kit out there from someone but I can't remember now. That's quite a bit of sag for 800 lbs on the rear end. How many miles are on the truck? How many on the springs and how many on the shocks?

OP
OP
Z

zhbernal

Reaction score
115,000 miles on all I believe. Truck was just inspected and all checked out well.

Changing tires today. Ford told me couldn't add airlift to this model.

barricade

Reaction score
Look into Rancho quick struts, just added a set to my 04 in July they are adjustable.

OP
OP
Z

zhbernal

Reaction score
Just looked up those struts. Seems so easy. Why would mechanic and Ford parts not suggest this and tell me there was nothing I could do? Because it's after market? Because they want me to buy a new car? Or could there be another reason like really not being able to change them out?

Just to clarify, would I only put these on the rear for towing? What about when not towing. Adjust them so car level?

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They might have meant that you couldn't add FACTORY air suspension. These vehicles had factory rear self leveling suspension. It was full of issues and wasn't the best from what I've heard. Most people fix it by replacing it with conventional suspension. I would think that the aftermarket is a much better source for something like this

barricade

Reaction score
I never tow anything large enough to have sag but with the adjustable dampering the struts have should be the trick. I would contact Rancho or Bilstein to see what they can offer or hopefully someone will chime in the does tow to help you out as well.

I installed a full set of 4 to replace factory nbx struts with 150k

Last edited: