Suspension Lift Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SIRvive

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L 4x4. I am not too familiar with this vehicle. I am looking for a suspension lift kit 4-6inches, or big enough to fit 35s on it.

Heres a picture of it.
315997_2552452772886_1300899289_2943234_2011289058_n.jpg

Going to end up putting a lift kit, 35s, grill guard w/ offroad lights, and some HIDs. :p

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
SIRvive, welcome to the forums. Lots of information here. I think you may find it a bit overwhelming.

As for your question. You have a few decisions to make. First off, since you have an EB, you most likely have the air ride suspension. If so, no one makes a lift kit for your suspension. So, you are now left with 3 decisions. You can 1) remove the air ride suspension and then go with a standard suspension lift, 2) go with a body lift, get 3 inches of clearance and that will let you clear 35's, or 3) go custom which is going to be big money.

If you go the standard suspension route, the conversion is pretty easy and a lot of members can tell you down to the part number the parts you will need. But, as your truck gets older, fewer and fewer companies are making lift kits for the truck. The only active manufacturer right now is Fabtech as I recall and they make a 6" lift for the truck (only for the standard suspension, not the air ride). But, plan on spending about $2000 for the kit and then another $600 or so to have it installed (unless you install it yourself, then plan on a whole weekend doing it, TRUST ME!!!!! I installed mine). The other big name that you will find for lift kits is Rancho. There's is a 4" kit, but they stopped making them a few years ago, but you can occasionally find them for sale.

I have installed both and while both are quality kits and allow you to use your truck to its fullest, I prefer the Rancho kit for 1 main reason. That would be the upper control arm ball joints are at a better angle than the fabtech kits. This will allow you to have the ball joints last longer.

With the body lift, you can fit 35's on the truck with no issues as long as you keep the rim width down. Going with say an 8" or 9" wide rim, all should be good. But, you decide on a 10" rim and you are likely to have issues. This assumes going with a 12.5" wide tread pattern.

Just to give you an idea, with the 4" lift (which is what I am running), I have managed to fit 37x12.5's on my truck and am able to go from full suspension droop to full compression with no rubbing. But, I have a very specific setup and changing even one thing will end up with major rubbing. I have also had to modify a few things to make it all work.

So, what you are after is a popular setup and you do have options. Question is what are you willing to do to get the setup you want.

OP
OP
S

SIRvive

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Thermo. Ill have to check to see what kind of setup it has at the moment.

Im unsure if this is a reliable post or not, but...

http://autos.yahoo.com/ford/expedition/2001/eddie-bauer-4x4/features.html

under suspension it say "Four Link Rear Suspension With Variable Rate Coil Springs, Lateral Track Bars and Gas Pressurized Shock Absorbers"

Ill go take a quick look after i post this. Im hoping its not airride.

Edit. After looking at it the rear does have a spring. I didnt see any on the front but i was able to see the gas shock.

just had a longer look, its definitely not airride. Coil over in the back, standard shock in the front. Glad whoever purchased this from the factory didnt upgrade to the airride.

Last edited:

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if its not airride... fabtech 6", zoneoffroad 6".... or body lift and spacers for 35s... or my combo...lol

Kevo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well theres actually a few choices for 97-02 Expys.
Zone Suspension 6" ($1749)
Fabtech 6" ($2474.36)
Trailmaster 5" ($1872)
and RCD Suspension 5" ($2044)

both the RCD and the Fabtech kits can be bought for either rear airbag or coil spring suspensions for roughly the same prices.
heres the link to the site ive purchased from before and where i get these prices from also they offer free shipping on most lift kits .:893karatesmiley-thu
http://rockymountainsusp.com/fd4_expedition.htm

captain1997

Reaction score
suspension lift/level

Hey guys Im new here also. I too am looking for a good suspension lift for the 2005 expedition i just bought but i have to keep it respectable. its mostly my wifes grocery getter so the wife and kids need to be able to get in and out of it easily. i want to go with 33" tires. I plan on window tint, bull bar, billet grill inserts, smoked head and taillights, and maybe more.:hat:

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Captain, you can fit 33's on your truck as it sits.

When it comes to lifts and your 2005 Expy, you are going to find that the options are pretty limited. Not many options. Pretty much you are stuck with a 3" spacer lift setup or going with a body lift. After that, you are looking at something custom and you will probably find that for this to be done, it is way more than you are willing to spend.

If you need to know more, I am sure others will chime in or I will pass on what I know.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As thermo says for your 05 you are stuck with spacer lifts. Lucan go with brandname(eveready, truxxx) or eBay. I'm running 33's with a 3.5/2.5 eBay kit. I ran the 33's stock but had rubbing when turning wheels. in case you want pics here is link
http://www.expeditionforum.com/f41/smaller-lift-18521/

Last edited:

onebigtruck

Reaction score
So I want to lift my 1999 EB. But it has air ride. I already ordered the 6" lift from fabtech only to find out it won't work. Does any one know exactly what the difference is? As far as I can tell is that the top air shock support is taller and the torsion bars don't have enough torsion to keep the vehicle up in the air without the air shock. I'm pretty sure the rear springs that come with the kit will just fit in place of the air bags. But not positive. I can cut and weld a little, so if it can be done I want to try. Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks

expedition.jpg

my ford.jpg