Suspension noob questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011EL

Reaction score
Please don't flame me as I've done a ton of searching and have been unable to locate a solid answer to my question. I need to find the spring load for the OEM springs as my spring compressor has failed miserably to compress my springs. I have a 2011 EL Limited with 4x4. The Ford part numbers are 9L1Z-5310-M and AL1Z-5560-F. Not sure why, but Ford doesn't openly share the spring loads.

I purchased a spring compressor without realizing (because I'm an idiot) the spring load would come into play here. The compressor is rated to handle up to 2,200 lbs of load. I saw a thread a few weeks ago (and can no longer find it now) that suggested the springs for the 2nd or 3rd gen Expy's (can't remember which) had loads off roughly 1,900 lbs and 2,900 lbs. I believe the heavier load was listed for the rear. Regardless, my compressor couldn't even budge the rear springs and made only a small dent with the fronts.

I came across this post on an F150 forum. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/spring-rate-codes-102056/#post963602

Post #7 on that thread shows images taken from a "Ford Body Builders Layout Book" with spring data. This is about as close as I've been a le to come to getting details on my springs.

I'm now in need of getting a new spring compressor that can handle these springs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I borrowed a spring compressor from Oriley car parts when I replaced my rear shocks and reused the original springs (08 EL expedition) thé compressor didn’t have any issues and Oriley doesn’t charge to borrow the tool. You might want to try that rather than buy another spring compressor..