Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C420sailor

Reaction score
Dudes/Dudettes,

I'm rebuilding the suspension on my mom's 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD, and admittedly I'm pretty stuck---in the parts ordering process.

It had the air ride system in it at one point, and it looks like someone installed the Monroe 90010 conversion kit, because all that's left of the air system is the sensors.

I went on Rock Auto to purchase upper and lower control arms, shocks, etc, and it's all listed as 'w/ air ride system' and 'w/o air ride system'. I don't know what to order as a result. Can I simply purchase all non-air ride parts and swap them in? Or are the frame mounts/geometry and such different? I'd hate to get the truck apart and find out that non-air ride control arms won't fit in the truck, you know?

Can anyone recommend front and rear shocks for this application? Looking for a stock ride, nothing fancy. I'd assume I would need coil-overs like the ones that came in the 90010 kit, but I can't find those part numbers.

Thanks, everyone. Trying to be a good son over here and I'm already ripping my hair out.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Email or call Rock Auto. They are usually pretty good on tech stuff that has been changed.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know your trying to save mom some money, but why not just buy locally. Your parts guy/girl at O'Reilly's, AutoZone or whomever should be able to decipher what you need. Last thing you want is to have front end blown apart, and realize you got wrong parts.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

C420sailor

Reaction score
I tried the local guy first. Parts guys just aren't what they used to be. I had some great guys in my old NAPA shop who were former techs, but the chains forced them out of business. These days, it's all pimply faced kids who don't know much beyond what the computer tells them.

Looks like the lower control arms are the same---uppers are different. Not sure if they're actually different geometry, or they just have the mounting holes for the ride sensors and such.

Got a message out to Monroe asking about P/Ns for the shocks in their 90010 kit. I'd just order the kit, but I don't want to pay for rear coils I don't need.

I'll keep y'all updated on my progress.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it's up to you, but ordering anything online is a gamble at best. Why not get the managers of the pimply kids involved. Your going to get to a point where you have to deal with people 1 on 1, and not using your computers. Especially when your not getting a perfect fit part. The other option is order both parts, and be sure you can return the other.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Mine came with a large diameter, rear heavy duty shocks. They were huge. The Monroe replacement(correct part #) was soo much thinner, the mechanic didn't want put them on. I did a little research. Ford apparently, uses what they have, that day, during assembly. Mine, got a clearly different/better style. I wound up installing the Monroe gasmatic and noticed no difference. They ride very good.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Dudes/Dudettes,

I'm rebuilding the suspension on my mom's 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD, and admittedly I'm pretty stuck---in the parts ordering process.

It had the air ride system in it at one point, and it looks like someone installed the Monroe 90010 conversion kit, because all that's left of the air system is the sensors.

I went on Rock Auto to purchase upper and lower control arms, shocks, etc, and it's all listed as 'w/ air ride system' and 'w/o air ride system'. I don't know what to order as a result. Can I simply purchase all non-air ride parts and swap them in? Or are the frame mounts/geometry and such different? I'd hate to get the truck apart and find out that non-air ride control arms won't fit in the truck, you know?

Can anyone recommend front and rear shocks for this application? Looking for a stock ride, nothing fancy. I'd assume I would need coil-overs like the ones that came in the 90010 kit, but I can't find those part numbers.

Thanks, everyone. Trying to be a good son over here and I'm already ripping my hair out.

Call your local dealer and ask them. Didn’t the Monroe shocks come w a lifetime warranty?

I installed the Monroe 90010 kit and love it. I got a 1 inch lift and a better stance. When I need new shocks I’ll look to Bilsteins that are very popular on the F 150’s.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only monroes I can stand the ride of was the sensa-trac.
I hear Bilsteins have a better ride than stock. All the rest beat me to death!!!

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I just hate the ride of these Monroe’s especially in cold winter temps. They’ve gotten noisy and rigid.

What are the best Bilstein’s for our trucks ?