Suspension upgrade for towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarred

Reaction score
Ok I have read a ton on here about suspension. I actually find it fine as is, if I weren't going to be towing a travel trailer. Here's my question. Would you upgrade the rear springs to heavier duty springs(if so, any suggestions?) or just go with sumo springs on the stock suspension? I will be swapping the shocks for Bilstein 5100s soon. I also have the Helwig sway bar on order and have upgraded the tires already. I'm not looking for the cheapest option, but the best and safest option. Thanks in advance!

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ride quality on the Sumo springs with the CCD suspension is terrible. Or at least I thought so. Others have said it isn’t too bad.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CCD and stiffer springs were probably pretty bad. I can’t imagine the ccd gear working well unless it was sport mode assuming the ccd shocks dial up their load / rebound control? I have CCD stock setup haven’t messed with it enough probably should tho. Just heard a neighbor was car jacked in the canyon near our house, he pulled over to let them pass they instead pulled ahead blocked the road got out with a shot gun and he and his passengers got out. Lucky they didn’t kill him. Dead zone for cell phones. All the locals are telling people to not pull over to let people pass, its a short 12 minute stretch with no possible passing spot unless you pull off, talking switch back paved goat trail basically but a major locals route over the hill. Has me thinking I need to drive the Expedition more in sport mode and get use to its handling. Might need to hustle it at some point...

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The CCD and stiffer springs were probably pretty bad. I can’t imagine the ccd gear working well unless it was sport mode assuming the ccd shocks dial up their load / rebound control? I have CCD stock setup haven’t messed with it enough probably should tho. Just heard a neighbor was car jacked in the canyon ...
Blimey, that story took a left turn!

OP, I have the Sumo springs on non-ccd suspension. They seem to work OK, especially for the investment. I have a ~5k Travel Trailer with WDH and the Sumos seem to level it a bit easier.

I'm not sure there are other options, currently, besides what you have mentioned.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok I have read a ton on here about suspension. I actually find it fine as is, if I weren't going to be towing a travel trailer. Here's my question. Would you upgrade the rear springs to heavier duty springs(if so, any suggestions?) or just go with sumo springs on the stock suspension? I will be swapping the shocks for Bilstein 5100s soon. I also have the Helwig sway bar on order and have upgraded the tires already. I'm not looking for the cheapest option, but the best and safest option. Thanks in advance!

The suspension is fine if your weight is distributed correctly between the axles. Many people inquire about the sumo springs because they have boats, or their WDH is not moving enough weight to the front axle so the rear sags. If anything, I would spring (see what I did there?) for upgraded struts over stiffer springs.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The suspension is fine if your weight is distributed correctly between the axles. Many people inquire about the sumo springs because they have boats, or their WDH is not moving enough weight to the front axle so the rear sags. If anything, I would spring (see what I did there?) for upgraded struts over stiffer springs.
Exactly. Before you "settle" for wherever your weight is distributed, you best at least go to a scale and make sure you're not making a problem worse... leveling definitely "feels" like the problem is solved but in most cases it's not.

OP
OP
J

Jarred

Reaction score

For a little clarity on this, are you saying you'd replace the front struts first? I'm admittedly semi ignorant to the complete parts list as I just picked up my 2020 expedition max a month ago, but as far as I have read it's struts in the front and shocks in the back. Does that sound correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the Sumos on mine within the first 500 miles of owning the car, so I may be just used to them by now (2 years, 19k miles). I think it rides fine with them (non-CCD suspension). Air shocks / air bags would be my preference, but I haven't been able to find them yet for this platform.

With the sumo springs and the Helwig sway bar it's actually a pretty good towing platform. My boat is around 7200-7500 lbs wet, and it does just fine at highway speed and around town. Admittedly, I don't tow through any mountains with it so I can't comment on that aspect, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so, either.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For a little clarity on this, are you saying you'd replace the front struts first? I'm admittedly semi ignorant to the complete parts list as I just picked up my 2020 expedition max a month ago, but as far as I have read it's struts in the front and shocks in the back. Does that sound correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Expedition has an four-wheel independent suspension with struts all around. On mine, rebound on the stock suspension isn't as well controlled as it could be. But I also have 117K on the original struts, so it could just be that it's time for replacement. These struts degrade over time, so unless one is completely blown sometimes it's difficult to tell if a replacement is needed.

I wouldn't make any changes to the suspension before actually setting up the trailer properly by visiting a scale. After confirming the weights are distributed correctly, then determine what, if any changes you want to make. You need to be sure that suspension mods are not papering over an underlying issue. For example, people frequently complain about issues like sway, without knowing whether they have enough weight on the tongue, then begin looking for band-aids like a better WDH or stiffer rear. Get the weights loaded correctly by visiting a truck scale, then start looking at struts, springs, tires, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni