Swapping tail light halogen bulbs for LED bulbs on XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pokes_06

Reaction score
Has anyone swap out the factory Halogen bulbs for LED bulbs for the tail light on 2019 XLT? Any recommendations on brand?

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
I did and they flashed very fast. You need a resister. I didn’t fuss with it and put the pens back in. Will likely do something with it later
Just bought red Alla 3156 leds

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. You don't necessarily need a resistor: the outside light(s) flash at the correct rate, but the inside indicator hyperflashes. You can eliminate this hyperflash using Forescan. I used iBrightstar bulbs, and they work OK.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone swap out the factory Halogen bulbs for LED bulbs for the tail light on 2019 XLT? Any recommendations on brand?

SO they're are many options, SOCAL makes a good resistor bulb, so does LASFIT and EVERBRIGHT. But most of these you can not run your running lights all the time like I do (for safety) I use jdmastar 3157 reds with resistors in my jeep and they work perfect superbright during the day not to mention the night. Easiest way from what I have learned with the 4th gen Expy's is to drill and mount resistors as opposed to rewriting the bdycm. Hope that helps, if you need more info Im willing to help as well

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... Easiest way from what I have learned with the 4th gen Expy's is to drill and mount resistors as opposed to rewriting the bdycm. Hope that helps, if you need more info Im willing to help as well
I disagree. There's no real reason to add resistors when you can easily disable the hyperflash with a computer and USB to OBD cable (which also opens up a lot of other possibilities). Even if you do not disable the 'hyperflash', the bulbs flash at the correct rate.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I disagree. There's no real reason to add resistors when you can easily disable the hyperflash with a computer and USB to OBD cable (which also opens up a lot of other possibilities). Even if you do not disable the 'hyperflash', the bulbs flash at the correct rate.

While that is true I know that many people (as well as I) would get tired of the hyperflashing really quick as it does become annoying in my opinion. Even if it is just hyperflashing on the dash/cluster and not outside the vehicle

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah its very annoying. I turned off hyperflash with Forscan in under 2 mins (no need for more time/$ wasted with resistors)

2021max

Reaction score
Yeah its very annoying. I turned off hyperflash with Forscan in under 2 mins (no need for more time/$ wasted with resistors)
what code of FordSacm did you change to stop de hyperflashing ? thank you

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what code of FordSacm did you change to stop de hyperflashing ? thank you
From memory, loading the APIM or BdyCM the human-readable (non-hex) modules looking for bulb outage indicator or something like that and disable it (under halogen outage). Hyperflash will be gone. I tried at first, to disable the halogen & enable the LED outage but that didn't work for my XLT (hyperflash continued).

*Note, I have a MY19 & what you see in ForScan for your MY21 will be different.
Here are some screenshots from an old post of mine. use the filter feature to search for "outage"
1638323346776.png

Last edited: