Switched power circuit / fuse # needed for dashcam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gents, I'm looking for a 10A+ switched circuit in the fuse box of my '04 Navigator to tap into for hard wired dashcam operation only while driving. I tried a number of options from #4 (Navigation) all the way through #31 (Radio, Subwoofer) but power remains available in each circuit even 30 minutes after the vehicle has been locked.

Interior lights are all shutting off normally upon locking and all doors, liftgate and hatch glass are closed, lights are shutting off when locked.

What is a circuit that will power down with the vehicle shut off? Or is there a problem with my CJB?

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good idea. Where did you mount the charger? Mine's pretty bulky.

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 4K cam off of Amazon (Galphi). I bought a separate hardwiring kit for it that comes with a pretty bulky charger.

1672242663262.png
1672242733211.png

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All that said, I'm still surprised that circuits like the Radio & Sub (#31) would have continuous power. Is that really normal? I expected these to be switched but at the least to turn off a few minutes after the vehicle is shut off and locked.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm still surprised that circuits like the Radio & Sub (#31) would have continuous power. Is that really normal?
Yes, there is a signal wire that goes to a circuit that shuts off w/key. That is what turns it on and off. So yes it has power to it all the time, device is just cut on/off by the signal wire.

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's circuits available in the overhead console. I ran power off the A/C control harness up there. There's switched power and hot at all times power up there.
So, just took the console off to look for suitable wires. There's space to fit the charger. Power to the interior lights is continuous. The rear AC fan speed adjuster gets switched power but also stepped. Voltage drops as you increase fan speed (1,2,3) on each of the hot wires in that plug.

What connector did you tap into specifically for switched power or did you wire your camera for 24h operation?

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution for this too. I recently wired up a light bar and ditch lights to some light switches I added to the cab. The lights in the light switch don't shut off with the power since Im running everything straight off the battery. I just pull the inline fuses when I'm not using the lights to keep my battery from draining. I bought those tap in add a fuse things to try to run something that's only on when the accessories were on but I'm running into the same problem.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, just took the console off to look for suitable wires. There's space to fit the charger. Power to the interior lights is continuous. The rear AC fan speed adjuster gets switched power but also stepped. Voltage drops as you increase fan speed (1,2,3) on each of the hot wires in that plug.

What connector did you tap into specifically for switched power or did you wire your camera for 24h operation?

It has switched and continuous power for the different modes it runs in. Yeah the rear fan circuit harness is what I used. The camera draws very little power. Just make sure you have a good ground selected.