Swollen Lug Nuts - Recommended Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SublimeHiPpOs

Reaction score
My 2018 Plati is at the dealership for some service and warranty work, the called me stating that the lug nuts are swollen and that I'd likely have trouble or be unable to remove them roadside in the event of a flat. I only have about 46,000 miles on it and I really don't think there's been any abuse (at least on my part) to the lug nuts. Apparently they're considered a wearable part (so not covered under my PremiumCare warranty). I understand not covering damage from abuse or misuse, but considering nearly all the nuts have this issue, to me it seems like more of a defective design. It would seem a simple solid stainless nut would be superior to the two-piece design they use.

Anyway, the dealer quoted $50 for a new set, which actually seems fairly reasonable. Before I proceed with that, I was wondering if there are any better aftermarket lug nuts that would have better longevity?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 Plati is at the dealership for some service and warranty work, the called me stating that the lug nuts are swollen and that I'd likely have trouble or be unable to remove them roadside in the event of a flat. I only have about 46,000 miles on it and I really don't think there's been any abuse (at least on my part) to the lug nuts. Apparently they're considered a wearable part (so not covered under my PremiumCare warranty). I understand not covering damage from abuse or misuse, but considering nearly all the nuts have this issue, to me it seems like more of a defective design. It would seem a simple solid stainless nut would be superior to the two-piece design they use.

Anyway, the dealer quoted $50 for a new set, which actually seems fairly reasonable. Before I proceed with that, I was wondering if there are any better aftermarket lug nuts that would have better longevity?
Did he send pictures? I've never heard of swollen lug Nuts.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it's a thing. My 2018 gets it too. Not really sure why, as I have never experienced this with any other vehicle I have had. Inferior product maybe? My dealer has replaced them at least one (n/c)....

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gorilla spline nuts have always been good to me. Non spline should be decent as well.

If you are in snowbelt, the splines will show some rust after a season or two.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I switched over to chrome McGuards last spring after finding one of my lug nuts jammed in the socket. So far so good, though winter is coming so we'll see how they hold up.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lots of threads on this topic. Here is one, which includes another post of mine with links to a bunch of the other threads:

Tuck

Reaction score
The chrome part of your lug nut is just a cap that sits on the steel lug nut. Moisture gets in between the cap and the lug nut which causes corrosion and swelling. Gorilla and McGuard make quality one-piece replacements which won't rust for not much more than the OEM replacements your dealer is offering. The OEM replacements will have the same problem as your original ones. Buy once, cry once. The McGuard and Gorilla are probably about equal on quality. Pick your poison. I went aftermarket with 5 regular lugnuts and one locking lugnut per wheel. I don't have the part numbers or total cost in front of me but can probably find it if you want it.

Be careful which lugnuts you order. Some of the most popular sizes aren't deep enough for our wheel studs. If you're not sure what to order, call McGuard or Gorilla direct and they can tell you which part numbers fit your vehicle or just go with what your dealer is offering.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
glad I found this thread, those stupid chrome caps absolutely suck. I'm surprised they are even allowed still, when I bussed tires for years and now, just this last weekend doing a brake job, they cause so many issues with torque bars and impact sockets. I can normally hammer in six lugs in seconds, but fighting with the stupid caps takes 10x that. I'll look for a set of the Gorillas per @Deadman.

Anyone know the dimensions of these? I know 21mm, but with factory wheels do most do the 1.4" or the 1.9" long, or even better share a part number that worked for the factory 22's. is it 61148/61147

Edit: maybe I found the kit, part number 71644N

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni