Swollen Lug Nuts - Recommended Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Edit: I screwed up here, so i just wanted to let everyone know. I got nervous about the Acorn vs. Bulge Acorn thing, called Gorilla and was told this won't work, or at least likely wouldn't be safe. The two parts they directed me to were part numbers 61148fs (qty20) and 96641dx for the set of four locks. Glad I checked, best pricing I found was on eBay.
Glad you checked, @5280tunage . As I mentioned in Post #22, people can get a set of 24 with Gorilla PN 61148CX.

chaffdb

Reaction score
My dad's '09 F150 developed this issue a couple of years ago and we replaced with Dorman. Here in Mississippi we don't have salt and it doesn't get crazy cold. I always figured the "swelling" was from the repeated beatings and over-torquing with an air gun by folks rotating and replacing the tires, but it may be a combination of things. The lack of salt and lower temps may also explain why his went about 10 years and 150k miles before needing replacing. I had a Dodge Ram from the 90's that had the same issue.

I will say remember to check the lug nut size and make sure they are the same. Often it's different and the factory lug wrench may not work. I want to say my dad's was the same, but I know I had to buy a 4-way to keep in the Dodge.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
Based on this thread, I ordered a 20 pack of 61148BCX and the locking kit 96641BDX to replace my new Timberline lugs. I was surprised they didn't put black lugs on those rims anyways, and after reading about all the issues here it's going to be the first thing I do with my new truck. Thanks for all the guidance everyone has given here!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on this thread, I ordered a 20 pack of 61148BCX and the locking kit 96641BDX to replace my new Timberline lugs. I was surprised they didn't put black lugs on those rims anyways, and after reading about all the issues here it's going to be the first thing I do with my new truck. Thanks for all the guidance everyone has given here!

Wise move. I figured I would do it "later" and discovered they were all swollen with a total flat in the dead of winter on an NPS snow-covered road. The tow company had previously had negative dealings with NPS and did not want to travel on their property out of fear of getting fined. Moreover, the only access road that was open had a bridge for which the flatbed exceeded the weight limit (another fine if they did it and got caught). Ultimately, the tow company wouldn't come to me and I had to drive several miles on a flat in the snow. My rim semi-survived with a small crack that produced a slow leak. I ended up replacing the entire rim when I got 4 new tires several months later.

ak49

Reaction score

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
Update: My 20 pack of 61148BCX and the locking kit 96641BDX arrived yesterday and I used the opportunity to go buy a new tool from Harbor Freight. I grew up with my dad having a massive air tank & compressor to drive an air gun. He works on cars far more than I, so I just got a 20v impact gun for $65. It's amazing how good that tech has become.

Here's a comparison of what came off my Timberline:

IMG_0840.jpg

My replacement Lugs don't have that lip between the 60* taper and the nut. Do we think that's an issue or is this OK?