Swollen lug nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WAIT!! Let me check. Nope. OK. Mine feel fine.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WAIT!! Let me check. Nope. OK. Mine feel fine.

Ohhh my. The first sign you have a problem..when you quote your own posts or reply to your own posts of Facebook.
Yep, I just went there.

I have been thinking about rotating mine around though.

I have two excursions and the one I'm getting rid of has gorilla ones ( cue monkey grunts) on it. Big Bad 8 lugs. I don't even know if the other one has lug nuts. The plastic hub caps have zip ties holding a couple on them on.
Life is so fun!!

AHHHHOOOOOGGAAAA

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally got around to replacing my front pads....found the issue....not rust or anything built up under..........just that the chrome sleeve/cover will slide over the base, causing a situation where nothing will fit. As soon as the 1st began to slide over itself, I removed the socket, reapplied the lug wrench with a rubber mallet and saved it. Lesson learned.

Pretty basic issue...use the lug wrench only to get completely loose, then use a socket for less than hand tight-for speed....

I sure did appreciate knowing ahead of time that there might be an issue.....or I most certainly would have fudged that 1st lug nut too much to save it......that's for posting OP!

jeff

Last edited:

UniqueTII

Reaction score
I got a puncture on my way to work a while back and discovered that the my nuts on that wheel had swollen. Many of the others had lost the chrome caps so it's not like the previous owner or the dealership I bought it from were not aware. I managed to get the truck to work before losing all of the air in my tire and figured I'd change the wheel quickly before I went home. The tire change took about 2 hours between figuring out what was going on and trying to find the right tools from friends at work and our tool crib. I ended up having to hammer a socket onto all of the swollen ones and hammer the lug nut back out of the socket once I removed it. Good times had by all. I am just thankful I didn't need to do the work on the side of the road or have it towed somewhere for something so stupid.

My new lug nuts are from Wheel Adapters USA and are working great. They stick out a little farther than stock but still look good.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the ones on my girlfriend's 2012 Focus last year. After messing with them a few times (brake jobs, suspension work, etc.) and fighting them every time, I was fed up. A new set from Amazon and I am now a happy camper.

Plati

Reaction score
I think they should fit …? Computers make mistakes? Contact Gorilla via email to clarify?

I guess you want locking lug nuts, otherwise I would buy the LIFETIME
just an opinion, I can't be held legally liable for any of this or my Tweets

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they should fit …? Computers make mistakes? Contact Gorilla via email to clarify?

I guess you want locking lug nuts, otherwise I would buy the LIFETIME
just an opinion, I can't be held legally liable for any of this or my Tweets

Great idea: This is what Gorilla said:

For your 2015 Ford Expedition with factory alloy wheels if you are looking to purchase a Wheel Lock System similar to part number 71644N, the part numbers we recommend are:

76644N - Duplex 2" Long Lock System, Chrome 24 pack
96644DX - Factory Style Bulge Lock System, Chrome 24 pack

Part number 71644N would not be recommended for truck applications as the locks can be too short and may bottom out. We only recommend our Factory Style or Duplex length locks for that application.

Thank you,

Plati

Reaction score
For anyone who finds difficulty with boogered up swollen nuts … I think the best way to remove them from the vehicle would be ----> use a Dremel Tool cutting wheel and cut all the way around the stainless steel thin cap , lopping off the top 1/8". Use a chisel or something to drive down between the stainless steel cap and the steel lug base lug nut to get that out of the way. Then use the appropriately sized socket to take the steel nut off.

Would this work, has anyone done this?
I've never done and hope to never do it, but I still have original OEM nuts on my 2003.

My nuts are still ok, indestructible!
I have 1.5 pound balls made of solid copper from the old days in the Electroplating shop.
IMG_0851.JPG