Sync 3.4 to 4 Possible?? Hardware v. Software

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlaskanTexan

Reaction score
Hey yall...I was thinking about getting an aftermarket head unit....BUT then I saw that Sync 4 is in the newer Fords ( 20+, I have a 19). Does anyone know if you can just have the Sync updated at the dealer to Sync 4 system software or would it have to be whole new unit hardware??? It needs to be a whole new unit then I think I'll just go with aftermarket.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey yall...I was thinking about getting an aftermarket head unit....BUT then I saw that Sync 4 is in the newer Fords ( 20+, I have a 19). Does anyone know if you can just have the Sync updated at the dealer to Sync 4 system software or would it have to be whole new unit hardware??? It needs to be a whole new unit then I think I'll just go with aftermarket.
20-21 DO NOT have Sync 4. They have Sync 3 version 3.4 installed from the factory. Your 19+ can be updated to 3.4 via CyanLabs updater. The newly announced 22's will come with actual Sync 4. It is both a hardware and software difference, so no easy path forward.

OP
OP
AlaskanTexan

AlaskanTexan

Reaction score
20-21 DO NOT have Sync 4. They have Sync 3 version 3.4 installed from the factory. Your 19+ can be updated to 3.4 via CyanLabs updater. The newly announced 22's will come with actual Sync 4. It is both a hardware and software difference, so no easy path forward.
Ok great! Thanks @LokiWolf...I was just looking into the CyanLabs updater earlier, but she's in the shop for cam phaser surgery so I'll update it when she gets home in a couple weeks. Easy fix...I'll run 3.4 for a few months and see how I feel about aftermarket later. I know the speakers have to get ripped out - stock speakers in 202A are disgustingly bad.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok great! Thanks @LokiWolf...I was just looking into the CyanLabs updater earlier, but she's in the shop for cam phaser surgery so I'll update it when she gets home in a couple weeks. Easy fix...I'll run 3.4 for a few months and see how I feel about aftermarket later. I know the speakers have to get ripped out - stock speakers in 202A are disgustingly bad.
Let us know what you think of your replacement speakers.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 3rd gen (2017) expy el xlt with the big touchscreen and factory sub, let me know what you find regarding switching to an aftermarket unit in yours, I am curious as to doing it in any future expy's that I get.

OP
OP
AlaskanTexan

AlaskanTexan

Reaction score
So check this out...I went and looked at the software in my 19 and it's running 3.0, not 3.4. Now here's the problem...CyanLabs updates are only for Windows, which I don't have access to. Any tips on moving from 3.0 to 3.4? Funny thing is Ford says I'm "updated" (but shows 3.0 Build 20204), but when I see 3.4 pics, that is NOT one mine looks like. @LokiWolf any help I'd appreciate.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So check this out...I went and looked at the software in my 19 and it's running 3.0, not 3.4. Now here's the problem...CyanLabs updates are only for Windows, which I don't have access to. Any tips on moving from 3.0 to 3.4? Funny thing is Ford says I'm "updated" (but shows 3.0 Build 20204), but when I see 3.4 pics, that is NOT one mine looks like. @LokiWolf any help I'd appreciate.
Ford will most likely not offer up the 3.4 update to you officially via the owner site. Either find a Windows machine to run CyanLabs Updater to build your disks, or load Boot Camp on what I assume you have is a Mac. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468 Those are your options.