SYNC 3 / APIM / GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groover

Reaction score
It appears to be having chronic problems. After doing a two-finger reboot it will work for a couple of minutes then get really sluggish and sometimes even freeze.

It was at SYNC 3 version 2.2 build 17011.

I tried updating it via USB but after 40 minutes I gave up and turned the engine off. The next morning I had a long drive so I tried again. 2.5 hours later it was still doing the update so I again gave up. When I next turned the vehicle on I did some more two-finger reboots and master resets and it told me the update was successful!

Now on SYNC 3 version 3.0 build 20204.

Now switching between the bottom menu items does not freeze at all, however GPS no longer works - has GPS in a red circle crossed out. Attempting to do anything in a submenu, such as change a setting and it gets sluggish again.

After some more two-finger reboots GPS works again, but still only for a couple of minutes before the freezing starts. Also when pressing the voice command button I no longer get the audio prompts, so I guess the update was not complete and part of it (gracenotes?) is missing.

Removed fuse 9 (SYNC) for 30 seconds. Removed fuse 29 (GPS and radio) for 30 seconds. Didn't help.

Is the only remaining option to replace the APIM?

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
I went into the APIM diagnostics and looked at the IVSU versions. It seemed JR3T-14G423-CB was older than the others. Checking the cyanlabs database it appears this is gracenotes.

I edited autoinstall.lst to only install that one file. Plugged it in, a few minutes later it was installed and voice prompts are working again.

OK, so that is fixed but I still have a problem with freezing. :(

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
Well I don't know.... I gave up messing with it and had a long distance drive today. During my drive I stopped multiple times. Now I am back home it *appears* to be working OK. I can go into settings and pair my phone - things I couldn't do before. I hope it stays that way but if it doesn't I now have a thumb drive with version 3.4 ready to go.

downjack

Reaction score
I bought a used 2016 in 2018 with Sync 3 with version 2.2. I had numerous freezing issues. I upgraded to version 3.3 but still had on and off problems. I would do several master resets and two-finger reboots and it would work properly for several months. Then out of the blue, it would start acting up again. I finally replaced the APIM about a year ago from 4DTech.com and it has worked perfectly for over a year.

OP
OP
G

Groover

Reaction score
OK, so far so good for me but it seems it will return. Probably an an inopportune moment. Andy