SYNC 3 Email

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got an email yesterday from Ford to update my SYNC 3. Did anyone else get the email, or has anyone done the update? Is it worth it?

It says you "could" get waze, Ford+alexa, apple carplay and android auto and the infamous "more".

Thanks............

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine auto updates over Wi-Fi. I've had Waze for a while, it is ok... I'm not going down the Alexa hell hole, not a fan. More a Google getting their act together, but, in my opinion it should just integrate everything from Waze into Google maps, can't use both... Most recent update required a reinstall of FordPass on my phone to be able to use that location feature. Such as life on this day in age, there is no such thing as bug free software...

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the current version? Mine is 3.0 Build 18093.

I saw something about 3.3 or 3.4 online but it was specific to the 2019 Ranger.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
Got an email yesterday from Ford to update my SYNC 3. Did anyone else get the email, or has anyone done the update? Is it worth it?

It says you "could" get waze, Ford+alexa, apple carplay and android auto and the infamous "more".

Thanks............

I received that email yesterday or this morning, but I didn't do anything about it.. I already have Waze, Carplay, AA.. I don't know what it's even for.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
If you update to Sync 3.0, it's what I did, you get Waze, Pandora, I Heart, for a while Ford was offering What3words, dunno what happened there it kind of just went away. Sad, because that software has the potential to make 911 services as we know it today, very last century! Of all the offerings, in my opinion, what3words, was the gem and the real keeper. Ford+Alexa=Daft, dingy, useless, the Sync Lady knows more than Amazon's Alexa. Now this is totally hilarious! And 100% true, I would be really lost with out it! Another, "BETTER," option with SYNC 3.0, or SYNC 3. On an Android Phone, you can run Android Auto, it takes the SYNC Screen, puts it on the side lines, and Android Auto is the new, albeit, hybrid touch screen interface. Navigation is handled by Google, if you want. Around town I use Google, on the highway, Waze. Waze, in Wisconsin, has awesome other Wazeiers that provide invaluable real time updates! However, Waze in the larger cities, can get bogged down with way too much input from other users! Seems if you are in the Big City, 7 Wazeiers will find it necessary to tell everyone a Mouse Farted at 5th and Vine! 7 more that watched him run across 5th, and 10, need to let every one know he made it! On the other side of the street, 8 need to let the world know that is where Mr. Mouse finally did his business. In less than 3 minutes the intersection of 5th and Vine has 31 or 32 notifications! Makes it look like a bus load of Nuns blew the red light and hit a school bus! You have to have the Cell phone connected via its USB Charging cable to the Data Port USB under the center armrest to run Android Auto. I am still figuring it out, and its not with out some trade off's. I have not gotten a phone call with things connected this way, and because I run a OBDLink MX+ and FORScan, or CarBIT, via Bluetooth, Android Auto Audio, run from the umbilical connection, and Blue Tooth Audio tries to connect to SYNC they can be fussy. I am sure its some kind of settings I need to fret with, because of OBDLink turning Blue Tooth off is not an option.

It can also affect driving directions, with some funny moments! The Ford SYNC voice, tries to talk over the Snooty British Lady's Voice in Google, and Vice Versa. Give them enough time, better yet deliberately just go off route and refuse to comply with getting back on the route. In about 3 Minutes them two old gals are going at it like two truck drivers on CB Channel 19, each one thinks they know it all. I do it all the time when I have a Fare with Lyft or Uber! Deviate 1 block, and a Fare having one of their worst days, will just about fall out of the seat laughing by the time you get them where they are going. Inebriated passengers, PRICELESS! Yes I Occasionally drive for Uber and Lyft, having that on the SYNC Display via Google Maps has been an awesome perk! Depending on a Fares level of light headedness, especially if its just one person! I have had a few insisting there are 2 additional passengers in the vehicle! Because it's so huge inside, if an inebriated fare is getting, 'testy,' about the extra two invisible passengers, cause they are not paying for their ride. Seriously, I have had that complaint lobbed at me way more times than I thought possible! I will sincerely apologize, and let them know I did buy it used from a county coroner. It had been used to transport crime scene cadavers! I have had others mention extra passengers, all I ever hear is the music on the radio. That will create an intense level of inebriated, deep, perplexing, mentally, mixed up silence! Then, Ta Dah! We have arrived at where ever they needed to be! I do wonder if the voices in their head stop when they leave my vehicle! 99.99% of the time everyone is cracking up!

Over in the UK, Down Under, and most smartphone blessed eastern bloc countries. Those lucky ducks get to use an application called, MirrorLink. Actually its not a software application, its the embedded whatzit that lets an application on their smart phone, ANY APPLICATION, run on the touch screen vehicle displays! MirroLink is a apk, sdk, that a company biased in Oregon, or Washington State in the United States, came up with. MirrorLink, mirrors their cell phones display onto the vehicles touch screen display. In the United States, MirrorLink is not approved for vehicle use, because you can use it to stream TV, UTube Video, Movies, what ever, to the SYNC Display! The Federal Safety Gods say is a crime punishable by Death. Actually they are kind of correct! Theoretically, if your phone turns the touch screen into a Car, Car, TV! Too many people over here would try to watch it and hit a tree! However, given the interesting, entertaining, odd nuances I have seen so far with my functional, dysfunctional, enlightening connection. That if a sensor, somewhere, sends a fault code to my CarBIT or FORScan smartphone app. Which, by the way, gets treated as a text message by SYNC, so SYNC will verbally announce, P dash 1204 a couple of minutes later, P dash 1204, Moby Dick's got a P code problem, possibly requiring a facility, but not THAT facility. Is P dash 1204 an OBD-II code? Does it indicate immanent failure of some critical component! Something that could leave me stranded! Beats me! I made it up! I just say, "Ok, Google! What does OBD code P 1204 mean? Moments later Miss Moneypenny will quip back VIA SYNC, with Poise, Purpose, Perfection, Perfect Pitch, quite matter of factly. Everything I could possibly want to know about OBD Code P 1204, and what it means to my forward momentum. Sometimes if I am really lucky, Miss Moneypenny will start off with her advisement, Alexa will chime in rudely, overstepping, with, "I don't know that one.", "I'm Not Sure." or something else equally as useless. The jackpot happens if in the midst of all this I get a text message! Miss Moneypenny is announcing all there is to know about OBD Code P 1204, Alexa is blurting out how lost she is, and the lovely Madam Ford is telling me I need to stop for milk and dog food on the way home. I kid you not! And oh yes indeed, One day I will get it to happen, a fare and I will get it to happen, or it will just happen. Miss Moneypenny will try to answer a question, Madam Ford will tell me to bring an item home, and Alexa will try to place an order for it on AMAZON, be unable to find it, or its sold out, make that announcement! The endlessly efficient Miss Moneypenny will engage Alexa's Dilemma, and actually find someplace, somewhere, that has what Alexa cant order. And, Ladies and Gentlemen, THE AI CAT FIGHT BEGINS! AS MISS MONEYPENNY, MADAM FORD, AND ALEXA HAVE AN EPIC WAR OF WORDS IN SONY DOLBY, EXPANDED, ENHANCED SURROUND SOUND!

It seems that part of my problem is I actually have MirrorLink V 1.0 on my United States Android Smartphone. Back about 2 years ago when I got mine, more than one U.S. smartphone maker was putting it on their phones, it was at the time the budding standard for vehicle connectivity! Then the authorities intervened, and we have been playing catch up. I pray now that I have blabbed this out here, the company that made my phone does not push a update through that fixes the connectivity conflict. Updates, they ALWAYS REPAIR, even when I would appreciate them leaving it alone! At least until I get audio and video of these three electronic dolls having an argument! It also cracks the door open to the SYNC 3 System for making modifications that do not include full motion video in any gear other than park. But hey, while I am waiting on my next fare, watching TV on the SYNC screen would beat my cell phone screen any day!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357