Sync 3 / Siri problem 2016 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldExpy

Reaction score
I am the second owner of a 2016 Expedition Limited (with Navigation). It was an early build from late 2015. The vehicle came with SYNC 3. When I got the car in January, it had problems with the navigation/compass that the dealer fixed with a software "patch". The original owner's manual says I should be able to use Siri on an iphone to send text messages using the voice command button on the steering wheel to activate Siri. My SYNC system was 3.0.19205 and it was just updated to 3.0.20204.
My iphone 8 connects fine using bluetooth. I can't get to Siri at all through the SYNC system. It doesn't show up on the SYNC phone display. Holding down the Voice Command for two seconds does nothing.

I do not know what the previous owner might have done updating the system. Do I need to update the hub and go with CarPlay.... is there anyway to get back to the original functionality of reaching Siri through the Sync Voice command?

Any help appreciated.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Swap the hub to the 17 version, and go to CyanLabs.net and download the Sync3 Updater, and follow the instructions to go to 3.4. You will have a CarPlay certified hub, and be on the most recent software.

The is a 3.4 update thread on here if you want details, just jump to the last few pages, after reading the 1st post in the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
O

OldExpy

Reaction score
Yes, I have read that thread and will do that if it is my only option. Is it correct, that it is no longer possible to do Siri Eyes Free to answer text messages with the system I have?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, I have read that thread and will do that if it is my only option. Is it correct, that it is no longer possible to do Siri Eyes Free to answer text messages with the system I have?

Honestly have NO idea. There might be others that it is working on successfully, but 3.0 is old as far as Sync 3, and as long as phones and OS’s keep evolving, it is best to move to the newer versions. Not to mention having the option for CarPlay with the newer hub. If you are planning on keeping it, that is the direction I would head.

Only thing that might be a quick fix is to do a Master Reset on Sync, then set everything back up and pair your phone again. Sometimes the Sync updates can cause previous existing settings to cause issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
O

OldExpy

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. The Master Reset did the trick on bringing the connection to Siri back to life. I will consider upgrading to the newer hub and sync system as clearly both Ford and Apple seem to favor using CarPlay.