Sync 3 USB and Wi Fi update issues / problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Aloha all,

I just finally got an expedition that is exactly what we wanted (showed up at a dealer right after our new baby so we traded the wrangler for it) and I discovered waze over carplay did not show the correct speed. I did some digging and found suggestions that the Sync 3 update would fix it. I was on 18093, and I discovered some interesting things about the updating that I can't find as definitively noted elsewhere, so I thought I'd get them posted. Basically getting the update in was a total PITA for me.

I followed the Ford instructions exactly and nothing was happening, so I was off and running to investigate. Upfront I'll say I used a USB 3.0 key (because it's better ..., ha ha ha) FYI: The access light on the USB key would flash a few times and then stop. My USB 2.0 key didn't have a light, so that was another reason to start with the USB 3.0 key.

Short answers:
USB: Use a USB 2.0 key. Just do.
WiFi: If you don't have the router in the garage so you get an "excellent" on signal strength, just don't bother. Use the USB route. Use the USB route even if you do have a router in the garage.

1) the Forscan APIM change to activate nav entry while in motion appears to be a region change. The speed limit display changed from North American style signs to Euro style signs. So the first thing I did was take all the APIM settings back to original. This had no effect for me at the time. Still, I'd change it back if you have made this change because I'd hate to have an update do bad things because the system is confused about the regions. I expect it's best to have the region match. I'm sort of glad the update didn't work right away.

2) I kept trying to get the wifi update to work. It would do partial downloads, but they never completed., even though I had "good" signal strength, which the Ford web page is sufficient. I finally put an old router in the garage (I happen to have an ethernet port out there). Then I had "excellent" signal strength. The wifi update ran and completed without having to have the engine running. HOWEVER, the update went to 19025, NOT 20204 which the website gave me. I can report that 19025 solved the carplay problem. I suppose I could have stopped there, but I like wasting my time on technical problems. Ok, not really, but I don't give up so easy.

3) I was thinking about the possibility of a mis-formatted USB key so I used the Cyanlabs tool to prepare the USB key and then put the ford downloads on it (I had a new download now that the system was at 19025). I didn't think that would make a difference, but what the heck. ( I worked at Microsoft for 14 years and did the original port of windows to ARM that is known as Windows RT, so I think I know this sort of ****. I got real familiar with the bit patterns in first few sectors of a disk. )

4) I was thinking I'll try a USB 2.0 key, and I found a couple of clues suggesting it makes a difference. I did that, and removed the "delay" option from the autorun file, and it started updating immediately. So use a USB 2.0 key is my very strong suggestion. Now I'm on 20204.

Along the way I did plenty of two finger resets and master resets, and since I can't return the APIM to it's original state I can't say what the minimum process is. And just use the USB 2.0 key. Trust me.

IF you don't care to trust me, here's a technical explanation/theory. There's probably a software config issue or hardware issue with the USB interface that is screwing up the USB 3.0 signalling, so the USB 2.0 signalling simply works better. I could probably list at least 10 possibilities. I had to deal with this sort of thing when I brought up Windows on a phone in 2003. It was really painful. The fact that USB works as well as it does in any environment is actually amazing from an electrical perspective. Super amazing.

Anyway, I hope this helps other poor schlubs who are trying to find a definitive approach to getting the Sync 3 update to work when there are problems, which I didn't find anywhere.

FYI: No I'm not going to update to sync 3.4. The car is still under factory warranty, so that's a definite no. Plus I know far too much about how these things get made and supported to risk putting an unsupported build on my family car.

Mahalo

OP
OP
Drew Nicholson
Reaction score
FYI: I just looked at the log file on the USB key and there are entries there that make it appear that the file system is somehow accessed over the CAN Bus network. I don't have a service manual or schematic or anything, but if the USB ports are a module on the CAN Bus rather than directly connected to the APIM or Sync modules, then that's just a whole additional level of why trying to update from a USB 3.0 key didn't work.

I would give Ford feedback on this info on their website (i.e. they should probably just say a USB 2.0 key is best), but it doesn't appear to have a feedback page. The "Site Feedback" link takes me to support page.

Again, this is the sort of thing that keeps me from seriously considering updating to Sync 3.4. Automotive electronics like this are still quite primitive, but for good reason. It's a very unfriendly environment and it's crazy to unnecessarily deploy a new technology to replace reliable proven technology - which includes the wiring harnesses.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 and upgraded to 3.4 and am now running the latest 21xxx version, many others here have too. I have never had any type of issue (knock on wood) when updating the software. Not to say that it can't or won't happen. But from what I've seen, it appears quite stable.

OP
OP
Drew Nicholson
Reaction score
I have to admit that once the vehicle's full warranty expires, I'm too much of a geek not to investigate and consider the update. :)
Thank you for the information!

Also, I'm a little jealous of the platinum. I wanted one, but they are hard to come by these days. I really like the interior color scheme, and I wanted the vibrating seats and CCD. We take a lot of road trips. I did actually find a new one with the features we want in Seattle, and a used one in upstate New York, but I didn't want the platinum enough to make that happen ...

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my writeup to go to 3.4 when it wasn't officially supported yet(Several years ago), I said USB2.0 works better with the USB modules currently installed in the Expeditions. The chipset inside the modules hasn't changed since late 2016 Models. When people have issues, I always suggest they use a USB 2.0 drive. If you use a USB 3.0 drive, yes, if it works, it will complete quicker, because the bus "can" transfer data quicker than USB 2.0's full speed, but like you discovered, USB 2.0 drives work MANY times when 3.0's give errors. My 2020 Explorer ST, on the other side has never given me error on 3.0 drives. It does have a different shipset in the USB module though than my 2020 Expedition.

All of what you have experienced has been said and discussed in MANY other threads, but it is good to have it all in one place.

OP
OP
Drew Nicholson
Reaction score
Thank you @LokiWolf , and I'll be looking for your write up on 3.4 since I've seen you pop up as the expert on this all over the place, which I appreciate very much.

Just to be clear that I'm doing my best to be a good citizen, I did spend quite a lot of time looking in all the various sync forums for some clarity on why I might be having issues and only found one mention that there are suggestions that USB 2.0 often is more reliable. But I didn't find anything definitive, hence my post. But my wife is far better at finding stuff than I am. It's a gift!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you @LokiWolf , and I'll be looking for your write up on 3.4 since I've seen you pop up as the expert on this all over the place, which I appreciate very much.

Just to be clear that I'm doing my best to be a good citizen, I did spend quite a lot of time looking in all the various sync forums for some clarity on why I might be having issues and only found one mention that there are suggestions that USB 2.0 often is more reliable. But I didn't find anything definitive, hence my post. But my wife is far better at finding stuff than I am. It's a gift!
Aren’t they always!!

100%, Your experience will definitely help somebody in the future. All the info you learned/found, like you saw is buried in LONG threads on here, and other places. Your single write up puts it in one place. Excellent work. I am not on as much as I used to be, because of the site admin’s terrible/lazy decision to remove Tapatalk integration. So having another somebody that has gone through the process is definitely helpful!

Go2rjm

Reaction score
I went the USB 2 approach and formatted as the instructions stated. I turned off auto update and plugged in the USB, I did see some USB red light blinking and saw a reboot of Sync and instructions to restart car for changes to take effect. This did resolve my issue with Sirius XM not working after car was shut down and having to wait until the next day for it to work again.