Sync 4A - audio stuttering issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texevora

Reaction score
Took delivery of my '22 Expedition Limited SPP w/ Sync 4A (larger screen) on Monday. I'm experiencing constant stuttering (every ~10-20 seconds) when playing audio (Spotify, podcasts, etc) from my iPhone. Happens when connected via USB, Bluetooth, as well as wireless Carplay (wifi). I thought it might be my phone, but I coincidentally got a new iPhone yesterday and it's still doing it.

Anybody else experiencing this issue/know how to fix it?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Using genuine apple cable? People have had issues with quality cables that weren’t apple. I’d suggest trying other audio inputs. If those are plagued buy it also would point to sync issue. If not, could be an apple compatibly issue, happens sometimes with firmware updates.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to use an official Apple cable. Belkin, Anker, Sabrent, and cheap Wal-Mart ones would not work. Either would not connect or flap on and off.

However, I have been using wireless CarPlay without issue the past 3 days. I do like the convenience of not fiddling with the cable. But, when I plug it in, I could only get it to work with an Apple cable.

sc19859

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same issue. I am using an Apple cable. I notice it more when I am streaming and using Waze or Google maps for navigation while streaming. It seems like there is a lack of processing power. The navigation audio prompts are choppy as well as the audio. Has anyone talked with the Ford service team about this issue for a solution yet?

Skud

Reaction score
I have the same issue, but only when connected via cable. If I use wireless CarPlay then there is no stuttering.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have only used wireless Carplay, and don't stream often, but used Apple Maps and/ or Waze for a 2+ hour trip each way last month and experienced no stuttering.

KetMalice

Reaction score
So just an FYI. I’ve been working with Ford for a few months in this issue (my timberline has been in the shop for half its life with me).

If you synced your phone wirelessly at all at any point, even if you plug it in via USB it will ONLY use wireless. There is wireless connectivity issues using CarPlay. I drive around in a city, and certain areas it will actually disconnect my phone. I now have removed the wireless portion and only connect via USB. Ford says it’s an issue but they don’t know what to do. My other vehicles that wireless CarPlay don’t have the issues at the same place.

Even connected via USB the screen/audio stutters. It seems like it’s a lack of processing power or a memory leak in their software.

The 2022 Timberline is a *************. Ford legit told me the fit and finish is poor but I bought it with poor factory fit and finish.