Sync 4a not remembering trailer on restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Early this week was my first experience running multiple local trips with my utility trailer. 2022 Sync 4a and HD towing. On the plus side, I thought it was fun to see that in my center info box of instrument cluster, the system tracks mileage the trailer has run, and mpg of the towing sessions. What surprised me negatively is twofold:

(1) The system reverts to 'default' trailer each and every time I shut down and restart the Expedition. I have to believe it's smart enough to know the trailer plug hasn't disconnected. Are others experiencing this too? If so, I assume it's a lawyer thing. It's a pain especially as if I forget to pick my trailer again, the revert to 'default' also means my blind-spot monitoring disables where it would otherwise be functional when it knows which trailer it has.

(2) Assuming the answer to (1) is yes you have to choose the trailer every time you start up, has anyone found a quicker way than having to go into Controls/ Towing/ and clicking on the drop-down list of trailer to hit the radio button for the one you've been towing all day? Along with disabling auto start-stop, this is significantly growing list of clicks you have to perform before you can take your foot off the brake! :)

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
Same, plus while driving I get repeated prompts to reselect the trailer despite not obviously losing connection to the brakes or lights. It's normally fixed by cleaning the plugs but I still find the system overly sensitive. My '20 Explorer never had this issue.

For quickly selecting the trailer I just click the prompt on the screen when I start the vehicle. It jumps straight to the trailer selection menu.

OP
OP
m3olsen

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same, plus while driving I get repeated prompts to reselect the trailer despite not obviously losing connection to the brakes or lights. It's normally fixed by cleaning the plugs but I still find the system overly sensitive. My '20 Explorer never had this issue.

For quickly selecting the trailer I just click the prompt on the screen when I start the vehicle. It jumps straight to the trailer selection menu.
Thanks @CDNRabbit , sounds like I'm not the only one. I did spot the 'prompt' after I posted, which definitely helps, but in my experience that prompt doesn't always happen. And sometimes, it prompts after I've already forced the Control section to tell it which trailer I had. Some of my issue may be lag in the system booting up - I may need to stop and take a breath or two before putting it in gear and taking off :) . I've noticed this with Carplay too that I must have had a habit of wanting to start my drive and then (dictate) texts immediately once I was in motion. I now have to get a bit down the road before Carplay is connected and ready to go.

I'll do some more experimenting when I'm using the trailer again. I do get a kick out of the trailer info the system now tracks as long as it knows which trailer it has.

mlogan

Reaction score
I’ve found the same. It’s random. Towed about 4k miles this summer and overall fine but quirky. I wish they would modify the 7pin voltage so it wound reliably charge my TT house batteries - they’re lithium and don’t get much charge from the Ex until they drop to about 20% charge