Sync update stuck on; "Software update in progress..."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkincaid32

Reaction score
Trying to update my 2017 to SYNC 3.0 so i can install the NAV updates I paid for and it never gets past, "..Update in progress.."

I've left the USB in for as long as 3hrs on a road trip, I've tried master reset before updates, used different USB's with re-downloaded software and same result.

Then out of the blue on a short drive, I get the message, "Software update complete, you can now remove the USB". Problem is, I had already removed the USB. So...

It still shows V2.0 and doesn't look any different, so is there another way to tell if this actually worked?

Groover

Reaction score
Welcome to SYNC update hell... mine did the same thing. If you go into Settings and then I think general settings you can find a screen that shows the version numbers.

I went through this cycle multiple times before it worked. At one point I lost the use of voice commands so I had to modify the contents of the thumb drive to only install the Gracenotes package to get that back.

Search for a user called UofMEngineer on another Ford forum (I think Ford Escape?) for lots more information on this nightmare.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you using Ford's updates, or doing it via CyanLabs installer?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is part of your issue!

Go there, use that, should help.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this issue yesterday while attempting a maps only update from NA18 to NA20. I had to reboot sync (Power + Forward Skip 5 sec. ), then it went away...but I was still stuck on the old map version. I'll try again later with a full update.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had this issue yesterday while attempting a maps only update from NA18 to NA20. I had to reboot sync (Power + Forward Skip 5 sec. ), then it went away...but I was still stuck on the old map version. I'll try again later with a full update.
You doing it via Ford or Cyan? What year is yours? Remember the Map update is VERY large, and can take approximately 30-45 to complete.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You doing it via Ford or Cyan? What year is yours? Remember the Map update is VERY large, and can take approximately 30-45 to complete.
I used Cyan. I left the car running for well over an hour. It's the first time I had an update fail using Cyan. But it's also the first time I've tried a map only update.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used Cyan. I left the car running for well over an hour. It's the first time I had an update fail using Cyan. But it's also the first time I've tried a map only update.
Map only is SLOW!!! If you have a 2020, it can be especially challenging.

Edit: Sorry, realized I was in Gen 3, not Gen 4. No 2020. Map only is still slow.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Re-ran using a full update and successfully updated to 21194 and 2.20 Maps. The update took about 40 minutes on both my Expedition and my Focus Electric.