Sync4A Updates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
Hey all! New member here having just gotten a 2022 Expedition Timberline. It was the Finance Manager's courtesy vehicle for most of last year until it was put up for sale in January. I was able to get ~10k off as well as special Ford financing that's available to clear out 2022 model years.

This is my second Ford, my other car being a Mach-E GT. We simply needed more space for our family on road trips.

The other big benefit is that both our vehicles now use Sync4A (15-inch screen) entertainment systems. But stepping into the Expedition is like stepping back in time in terms of software. The Sync4A system in Mach-E has been updated significantly, with benefits like:
- Dedicated Camera button for 1-touch access to cameras
- Volume knob can now be used for changing temperature and heated/cooled seats.
-Streamlined and improved CarPlay experience.

In the Mach-E, the Sync system is now rock solid. I can't remember the last time I had a hiccup with CarPlay connecting or any lag in the system at all. The Expedition is very clearly running some of the original Sync software, and in fact hard crashed on me on the way to work this morning.

Anyone with a newer 2023 or has had a 2022 Expedition for awhile... can you tell me what software version you're running? Has Ford been pushing software updates for these things? I know they advertise the 4A system in Expeditions as being OTA capable (just like Lightning and Mach-E), but I'm not sure if they have actually shipped anything.

I have access to FDRS as well as the necessary Mongoose adapter & power supplies to run updates myself if they're available there.

Thanks!

KetMalice

Reaction score
Welcome to a nightmare. The APIMs (control module) fail almost monthly. 2022 Timberline is nothing but problems.

I’ve had 4 APIMS replaced, it’s in the shop being diagnosed to get the 5th one replaced.

KetMalice

Reaction score
Might be somewhat nostalgic for you when the screen boots into Mach-E mode and the touchscreen buttons don’t work.
40C0317C-9968-4815-AD97-E51FBCE8AB8E.jpeg

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@ElectrifyCLT , thankfully not everyone on here is suffering monthly APIM failures. Regarding your original question - I believe mine is on Sync version 3.5.4 - I know I hit 3.5.3 while others already had 3.5.4. I came across a chart somewhere - swore it was Wikipedia but search is currently finding nothing - that did show Expedition updates were WAY behind Mach E. I'm encouraged by the functionality you're describing and do sure hope it makes it to us as well.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have had my '22 for 4.5 months now; never any Sync problems except for occasionally won't activate CarPlay with my phone when starting and I have to use the touchscreen to engage CarPlay. Looking forward to an update with those additional volume knob functions: on the Mach-E can the volume knob also adjust fan speed and turn fan off?

OP
OP
E

ElectrifyCLT

Reaction score
@ElectrifyCLT , thankfully not everyone on here is suffering monthly APIM failures. Regarding your original question - I believe mine is on Sync version 3.5.4 - I know I hit 3.5.3 while others already had 3.5.4. I came across a chart somewhere - swore it was Wikipedia but search is currently finding nothing - that did show Expedition updates were WAY behind Mach E. I'm encouraged by the functionality you're describing and do sure hope it makes it to us as well.

Yeah I know... I think as is it's about as stable as my Mach-E was prior to the major refresh to 4.x.x. For those curious, here's the Ford weblink showing the updates. I know the exact Wikipedia page you're talking about (frequented many Mach-E forum users as well). It was taken down for violating Wikipedias rules on croudsourced changelings. It's a shame that Ford doesn't make the software update logs more readily available to users.

Have had my '22 for 4.5 months now; never any Sync problems except for occasionally won't activate CarPlay with my phone when starting and I have to use the touchscreen to engage CarPlay. Looking forward to an update with those additional volume knob functions: on the Mach-E can the volume knob also adjust fan speed and turn fan off?
Yeah it's not bad. For me I've just had that 1 crash and it's otherwise been rock solid. If this 3.x.x software currently on Expy is any indication, knowing the hard reboot procedure (Press and hold both the Volume Down and Seek Right buttons on the steering wheel controls for 10 seconds) is super important. I don't think I've used it on Mach-E since going up to 4.x.x

Yes, the knob does let you control fan speed as well. The way the knob functions is volume by default and tap the other icon (temperature, seat heat, fan) to bring up the knob adjustment functionality. Aside from stability, that + the one tap access to cameras are the best updates they've made.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
It looks like the last update for the Expedition Sync 4A came out in November 2022. I have a 2023 that I got in mid-December and have not had any updates. I hope and look forward to easier access to the camera button, and additional function to the volume knob would be great.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your APIM likely is not bad. I picked up my 2023 F-150 on February with Sync 4 and about 50% of the time it fails to connect. Everyone has been having this issue on the F-150 for 2022 and 2023. Ford recently rolled out 4.2.1 for Sync 4, but there was an email sync 4A updates will be sent out soon. Since March 30th when my 2023 F-150 received the update my navigation has returned and it has stayed connected. We will see if it lasts. The F-150 does not have Sync 4A, we have 8” or 12” screens, but similar issues. It’s not the Modem.

I was totally ticked off on my first outage, it was during an ice storm and my remote start wouldn’t work!!!