The new darkness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghostwolf

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Earlier tonight, I drove home my new (to me) 2016 Expedition Platinum 4WD. A long time VW/Audi/Porsche guy, I've never owned an American made vehicle (that is, four-wheeled vehicles; I have a couple of Harleys in the garage). This year's travel trailer upgrade added almost 2000 lbs in towed weight, and while the Touareg (4.2L V8) could still pull it fairly easily, the scales told a sad story of ongoing abuse of the rear drivetrain.

Thus the requirement for a more capable tow vehicle.

We narrowed down our viable candidates to the Dodge Durango SRT and the Expedition (normal or EL). While the SRT would have been a blast to drive, it would have cost about US$20K more and sucks down premium fuel like a partying pirate drinks rum. These points, along with the extra safety factor in the Expedition's higher towing capacity, steered us in the direction of the Expedition.

The unit we eventually found had the right features, the right color, and a decent price given the relatively low miles (42k). As a bonus, the lack of rust or paint loss on the hitch receiver tells me this unit has yet to tow anything.

I'm a member of similar forums for other vehicles, so it made sense to join one for the Expedition. All I have so far are the original dealer photos, so here's one to give you a look.

Best regards,

Ghost

2415DA6B-7895-4F3D-B3D2-D89905BD21DB.jpeg