"The Tank" – a thread by StreetCreeper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an 2003 that the door ajar was a pain. It started when I washed the car and lubed everything. I finally got it to stop by spraying contact cleaner in the latch, no lube of any kind. I live on a gravel road and assumed that the lube and dust gummed everything up. You might try cleaning it with contact cleaner and see what happen.

As far as the running boards go they make nice parking lot door guards but really take away a lot of ground clearance. So you need to decide what you want and need.

I just turned the reverse aid off on the mirrors and forgot about the problem.
How did you turn off the reverse aid off for the mirrors ?
I'm tired of re adjusting the mirrors after I use reverse..
Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should be able to turn them off in the message center....
Thanks I never knew u could change things in the message center..lol
Only clear Trip A n B...lol..
Yes I finally figured out how to get to it u just keep mashing Setup and it goes through different things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StreetCreeper

StreetCreeper

Reaction score
KEY FOB FIX: Alls I did on my 03 was to buy these which came with easy programming instructions:
Amazon.com: 2 KeylessOption Blue Replacement 4 Button Keyless Entry Remote Control Key Fob: Automotive

Thanks for the link. I may resort to that if I can't figure this out first. Right now I'm leaning towards a reception issue of some sort. Both my fobs suddenly stop working unless you are literally in the truck – and then only barely. I followed the link for the shop manual from another member earlier in this thread, but it isn't a searchable PDF file at least on my devices and I can't scroll through 4k pages. So I haven't had time to find the receiver part of the fobs. I'd like to eyeball it and see if there is some issue there.

I had an 2003 that the door ajar was a pain. It started when I washed the car and lubed everything. I finally got it to stop by spraying contact cleaner in the latch, no lube of any kind. I live on a gravel road and assumed that the lube and dust gummed everything up. You might try cleaning it with contact cleaner and see what happen.

Will be doing this once it stops raining here!

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with your windshield, not from what you posted anyway. Its just the rubber seal that needs replacing or even just patching/reattaching

Pilkington is actually a curseword in BMW circles....very verrrrry squishy and prone to chips cracks and sandblasts.

Interesting to know about the Pilkington glass for BMWs! I'll have to double check their reputation with Ford. They are absolutely solid with Toyota 4runner glass.

I'm almost wondering if it s possible to get moisture between the layers of a windshield. Almost seems like that might be what I'm experiencing. There is a white mist that I at first thought was on the inside of the glass – but I'm starting to think it is inside the glass.

I had the same problem and I just shot a bunch of WD-40 in each latch and opened and closed each door about 20 times and now no more door ajar.
It's been at least a year and all is still good.

Will be doing this as well once I hit it with some leftover MAF cleaner.

How did you turn off the reverse aid off for the mirrors ?
I'm tired of re adjusting the mirrors after I use reverse..
Thanks

I see you already figured out how to disable the backup aid, however for anyone else or if you suddenly decide you want it back on, the quickest way to change it – is put the truck in reverse first – then look down at the message center and it will display a simple option on the screen: Backup aid on? Or off?

This way you don't have to dig through a bunch of options on the message center and will allow people to use it selectively when they feel they need or want it on.

OP
OP
StreetCreeper

StreetCreeper

Reaction score

I had the same problem and I just shot a bunch of WD-40 in each latch and opened and closed each door about 20 times and now no more door ajar.
It's been at least a year and all is still good.

I finally had a chance to investigate some of my issues further.

For the door ajar message and the sticking pin switch in the passenger door, I first hit it with a few good shots of MAF cleaner then hit it with a bit of Liquid Wrench. All is working as it should again. Thanks guys for the tips!

As for my key fob issue, I figured out that the Bluetooth adapter I bought for the truck so I could pipe my music from the phone – was jamming the receiver for the remote keyless entry system. This is why the fobs nly worked inside the truck and then only just barley at that.

Since the Bluetooth adapter I used was plugged into the center console which has a constant power supply (the Bluetooth adapter has no power switch so it can't be turned off) the RKE system was effectively jammed/blocked at all times.

Now that I removed the Bluetooth adapter. All is working flawlessly.

I tried moving the adapter to other 12v outlets in the truck – but it still jammed the RKE system.

So I'll probably return the adapter or maybe just rewire the 12v outlet to have a power switch so that I can kill power to the adapter when I exit the vehicle.

Or just wait until I pull the factory head unit and install an aftermarket one with Bluetooth capabilities.

My only concern at this point with replacing the factory navigation unit is — will the factory rear DVD entertainment system still operate properly without the OEM head unit nav system? Anyone have any experiences with this?