The Waze update is out, who is using it instead of the native navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something else I noticed this weekend (maybe this is old news).

I thought you had to have your phone unlocked and on Waze to get nav information. Not so. If you have Waze on the center stack and lock the phone, the map freezes...no good. If, however, you switch to another app on your phone (or just go to the home screen or whatever) you get the “Waze is running in the background” message on the center stack (see first photo attached). If you then go to another screen on your center stack, you get turn-by-turn nav information in a banner at the top of the sync screen (see second photo attached) ... and that stays current when your phone locks. And Waze continues to give you audio alerts (“object in the road” “police ahead” etc).

Again, maybe everyone knew all this, but my biggest complaint with the set-up was previously the fact that I had to leave my phone unlocked (aka on) in order to get audio alerts from Waze. And that’s not the case.

96ed351ddaef5fe6568ef30504fc1188.jpg1f6da8fea5626dd0ed9d2963bb0a3411.jpg

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI....with the pending release of iOS12, Waze, Google Maps etc will work with Apple Carplay.
If you want to help BETA test iOS12, you can join here:

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-12-preview/

As a daily waze user and someone who drives 40-45K a year, this will be huge.
This beta seems to be for 11.4.1 which doesn't have any CarPlay updates... I think I'm right...?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had iOS 12 since announced and cannot figure a way to get google maps/wave on the screen. I think there are other updates needed. Like to CarPlay itself, maybe each app, etc. not sure, but don’t think it is functional yet.

Aquineas

Reaction score
Are there any software or firmware updates on the Expedition required to use this?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are there any software or firmware updates on the Expedition required to use this?

Shouldn’t be. My guess is that CarPlay now supports it but the Waze app hasn’t been updated to run in this way. It is rather unlikely that Waze would release an iOS 12 compatible version when iOS 12 is only in beta. Likely Waze will release it’s compatible version when iOS 12 goes into full release.

Aquineas

Reaction score
For some reason I can't get Sync to see Waze (or any other apps really, but Waze is the first one I've tried to solve). I'm trying it on my wife's Google Pixel 2xl (since this is primarily going to be her car), which is explicitly listed on the device compatibility chart. I've enabled mobile apps on the Sync, updated to the latest firmware for Sync 3, paired them via BT and successfully synchronized text and even turned on 911 assist. No matter what I do, when I select Mobile Apps, Find Mobile Apps, I get "No Apps Found."

Aquineas

Reaction score
Duh, I see the problem now. Waze is only supported on iOS. In fact, according to this link, neither Spotify nor Waze look like they're supported on Android (!), which are precisely the apps I spent two hours trying to get working yesterday. I have an iPhone so it's not completely useless to us, but this is my wife's car.

Amacron

Reaction score
Upgraded to the iOS beta 12 and couldn’t get Waze to work with CarPlay on.

Just got the expy so maybe I am missing something?