The Waze update is out, who is using it instead of the native navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody929

Reaction score
Duh, I see the problem now. Waze is only supported on iOS. In fact, according to this link, neither Spotify nor Waze look like they're supported on Android (!), which are precisely the apps I spent two hours trying to get working yesterday. I have an iPhone so it's not completely useless to us, but this is my wife's car.

Are you doing this only via BT, or hard wired? AFAIK, these only work over the USB connection.

Aquineas

Reaction score
Are you doing this only via BT, or hard wired? AFAIK, these only work over the USB connection.

I've owned my Expedition all of 24 hours, so whatever I say is likely wrong :). But if I'm understanding it correctly, the iPhone needs to connect via USB for Applink and CarPlay while Android phones can connect with Android Auto over BlueTooth. I also found a few Google search hits which indicated that Spotify is no longer supported by Ford Sync on Applink or Android Auto (as of late last year); you can still play music via a straight bluetooth connection, but the Spotify Android interface no longer works with Sync. I'm not sure who made that decision, but if true it's a horrible one. In any case, I'll try it connected via USB tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll throw the question to the forum: Are any Android users currently able to use Spotify or Waze on Sync? And by use, I mean fully integrate with the Sync interface?

From what I can tell, I see lots of iOS mentions, but no Android mentions.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Upgraded to the iOS beta 12 and couldn’t get Waze to work with CarPlay on.

Just got the expy so maybe I am missing something?

As I said above, I’d bet my next paycheck the Waze app has not been updated to run CarPlay with iOS 12. We need to wait until iOS 12 is in full release and Waze updates the app to support that version and all the tweaks that come with it.

Aquineas

Reaction score
Update:

Short Version: I was wrong. Both Waze and Spotify work on Android in CarPlay, but NOT over BT (contrary to everything I've read), the phone has to be connected via USB. Sorry for the previous inaccurate reporting of info.

(Not-as-short version): I was talking with my wife about pairing her phone and I mentioned Waze, and she said: "Yeah it came right up for me." I said, "Whoa, wait what? I spent two hours trying to get those to work over BT!" She smiled confidently but lovingly (though that could have been pity), shrugged, and walked away.

dhal22

Reaction score
Does the Waze app lock the nav screen? I tried the app briefly back in March when my Expedition was brand new but did not like the screen locking. Haven't tried it sense so wondering.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Waiting for the release of ios12... Waze is way too glitchy when used on Sync 3. Hopefully it will be improved when using it with Apple CarPlay.

DogDad

Reaction score
I use iPhone and Waze works okay on the Expy. You need latest Sync version and it is NOT through CarPlay. Activate Waze on your phone then plug phone in. You will then have option to use Waze or Ford’s nav. On occasion it gets a little finicky, but I’m sure it will get better with updates.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use iPhone and Waze works okay on the Expy. You need latest Sync version and it is NOT through CarPlay. Activate Waze on your phone then plug phone in. You will then have option to use Waze or Ford’s nav. On occasion it gets a little finicky, but I’m sure it will get better with updates.

I must be missing a step. I've yet to get Waze or GasBuddy to come up on the screen. I have an iPhone, latest version of iOS and the Waze app installed. The Expy reports that I have Sync 3.0. I plug the iPhone into the usb port in the charging station. I'm logged into Waze and Waze is on my phone's screen. When I plug the phone in, it launches CarPlay and Waze is not one of the choices. The Apple Maps replace the Ford satnav. I've removed the Apple Maps to my phone and CarPlay still clobbers the satnav, but now there's no maps and still no Waze on the screen.

Am I missing on how to disable CarPlay with the phone connected?