Think wheel bearings are starting to fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
99.9 percent sure I am hearing the beginnings of a front or both wheel bearings going out. My expedition is still under warranty but I am not sure I want to screw with going to dealership. Thinking of just doing it myself for less downtime since it is a really easy thing to swap out. Any idea on where to get best price?

Another question, I know once they start to go you should don't sooner than later but I have an 3 hour road trip next weekend... should I get it done before or wait til they get bad?

Thanks in advance

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Three or six hours shouldn't be a problem unless they are truly howling, but who can tell? Tasca Ford has pretty good mail order prices, but call them first to see that the bearings are available and how long it will take to get them.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too would recommend getting the bearings from a dealer. Maybe even the local dealer has them in stock. Not sure if any aftermarket places make one that would be better.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford's wheel bearings / wheel hub assemblies are crap imho. Failure after failure on various vehicles. I went with an SKF hub assembly from Amazon (sold/shipped by) when I did mine. It's an easy job on the 3rd gens and I imagine it's very similar on the 4th gens. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford's wheel bearings / wheel hub assemblies are crap imho. Failure after failure on various vehicles. I went with an SKF hub assembly from Amazon (sold/shipped by) when I did mine. It's an easy job on the 3rd gens and I imagine it's very similar on the 4th gens. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do it.
SKF makes great bearings, I wouldn't hesitate to use theirs.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our front left wheel bearing had been going out since this summer. At first I thought it was just tire noise, but it didn't go away when we swapped the snow tires on. Got it into the dealer after Christmas and they're replacing the bearing Tuesday.

Over Christmas we did a 600mile roadtrip, I was kind of nervous, but we made it. The noise at 80mph is barely noticeable, it was the noisiest around 40mph.

We have an extended warranty and 42k miles, but advisor said it will be covered under powertrain warranty.

I was tempted to just swap it out myself, but since it will still be covered and save me a few hundred bucks I guess we'll just waste yet another day going back and forth to the dealer.

good luck!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having trouble finding that, you have part number by chance?

I don't see a part # for SKF for 2018. Moog's part # is 515181. Moog is hit or miss as they source parts from multiple manufacturers, including their own factories. Ideally, I would aim to get a Moog part in person so I could determine who made it (they are stamped) and where it came from. All of this said, I just realized you are still under warranty. While I wouldn't pay a dealer to do the job and I hate going to dealers at all, if you are looking at a free repair vs a $300 repair (to do yourself) ... :)

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see a part # for SKF for 2018. Moog's part # is 515181. Moog is hit or miss as they source parts from multiple manufacturers, including their own factories. Ideally, I would aim to get a Moog part in person so I could determine who made it (they are stamped) and where it came from. All of this said, I just realized you are still under warranty. While I wouldn't pay a dealer to do the job and I hate going to dealers at all, if you are looking at a free repair vs a $300 repair (to do yourself) ... :)
Thanks I thought I was just going crazy not being able to find the SKF part...

If my bearing lasts past my road trip I think I will just take it to the dealer unless there is a part out there that is head and shoulders above the Motorcraft replacement.

dwmarks

Reaction score
My drivers front started last summer and was singing pretty good by December. Was gonna do myself but the older I get, the less time I have for bullsh!t. Dealer did the job in about 2hrs for $650 while I drank coffee and ordered a 2022 Expy. Mine is a 2018 limited and it’s been very good to me. 65k miles by the way.